Download procedure in series production

Download procedure in series production

I am looking for an easy way to download and setup a new PicoCOM2 module from scratch in series production.

Today in the prototype production we do it the following way:
      - Download Eboot and Bootscreen via NetDCUUSBLoader
      - Enable bootscreen and disable serial debug via DCUTerm
      - Download kernel via NetDCUUSBLoader
      - Plug-in USB memory stick which configures the display and reboots (now wince is visible on the lcd)
      - Plug-in another USB memory stick which disables the explorer, enable autostart of application and starts touch calibration.
      - Plug-in another USB memory stick (NetDCU-SKIT-USB-UpDate) which creates folders in the flash-file-system and copies all application files.

Now the module is completely updated and ready to use. How can this easily be done in one or 2 steps during series production?

Thanks,
      Hans

Re: Download procedure in series production

Unfortunatly there is no single deployment system available yet. We already working on such a system but it still may take some time.

"hss" wrote:

- Download Eboot and Bootscreen via NetDCUUSBLoader
      - Enable bootscreen and disable serial debug via DCUTerm
      - Download kernel via NetDCUUSBLoader

I think these steps can be merged into one single step by using a NBI file. Each software part beeing downloaded with the USBLoader has a sepcial syntax in the NBI file. By pressing the button "edit NBI file" in the USBLoader you will get the command line of each software part. These can be combined to a single NBI file that can be opend directly by the USBLoader. Using this mechanism will offer the possibility to download: NBoot, EBoot, WindowsCE Kernel Image and custom bootloader settings (PSD).

Like you do in your current procedure, on the second stage we advise using our Update utility.

"hss" wrote:

- Plug-in USB memory stick which configures the display and reboots (now wince is visible on the lcd).
      - Plug-in another USB memory stick which disables the explorer, enable autostart of application and starts touch calibration.
      - Plug-in another USB memory stick (NetDCU-SKIT-USB-UpDate) which creates folders in the flash-file-system and copies all application files.

In my opinion it should be possible to perform all registry settings (display configuration, disable explorer, enable autostart) and install your application using one single update procedure. To change some registry values ndcucfg can be called by the update process in batch-mode.

It might only be a problem that your display is not working with the default settings. But if you are already using a bootscreen the display should also work on WindowsCE. Isn't this the case?

An additional question about the calibration: Have you tried to use an existing calibration set on another board? In most cases the electrical differences are not a problem at all and the calibration values are nearly the same (on the same hardware).
      Software developer, F&S Elektronik Systeme GmbH
      As this is an international forum, please try to post in English.
      Da dies ein internationales Forum ist, bitten wir darum, Beiträge möglichst in Englisch zu verfassen.

I made an NBI file with download of Eboot, bootscreen bitmap, bootscreen PSD and kernel with success.

But the problem is that the display is still not configured in Windows CE and only in the bootscreen. It should not be required to configure the display again in WinCE because it is already configured in the bootloader and shows the bootscreen correctly. I have enabled the display during boot (XDE Y) and set WinCE display initialisation to NO (XDI N). I think this is a bug in the WinCE display driver?

I have also made one USB memory stick using F&S NetDCU-SKIT-USB-UpDate which configures the display, disables the explorer, enable application autostart, creates folders in FFSDisk and copies the application to these folders. My only problem is here that enabling the display during boot and disabling WinCE display initialisation is not working.

I am using the following NDCUCFG commands:

Source Code

1. boot set XDEY
      2. boot set XDIN

Why do they not work? (“boot set OY” is working OK)

Regarding calibration I will now try to use the same values on all modules.

The above steps for programming a module from scratch is now simpler than my previous one but still too complex in series production. In another project I have been working on there was a WinCE program to copy specified sectors from flash (setup, registry boot, kernel and FFS). This image can then be put on a memory stick and we only need to put this stick in every target and then everything is setup.

Does the new deployment system F&S is working work similar to that?

Thanks,
      Hans

Dear Hans

It is also possible that F&S pre install your software (bootloader, image, registry, application code,...) at PicoCOM2.
      Please send an request to <!-- e --><a href="mailto:sales@fs-net.de">sales@fs-net.de</a><!-- e --> to get an offer for this service.

best regards

KU
      F&S Elektronik Systeme GmbH
      As this is an international forum, please try to post in English.
      Da dies ein internationales Forum ist, bitten wir darum, Beiträge möglichst in Englisch zu verfassen.

I will inform my customer about this pre installation possibility.

Could you please answer my 2 questions:

1) Why is the following 2 ndcucfg commands not working:

Source Code

1. boot set XDEY
      2. boot set XDIN

2) Will you fix the display reinitialisation problem described in my previous post?

Thanks,
      Hans