DCUTerm Windows 10 Support

DCUTerm Windows 10 Support

Hello,

I'm trying to download the u-boot bootloader over the DCUTerm tool. By using the tool under Windows 7, the download of the bootloader works as expected. But by using the tool under Windows 10, it was not possible to download the bootloader.

It was possible to get into the NBoot menu and select the "Serial download of bootloader" action. Now, the NBoot is waiting for the u-boot image. After selecting the "Transmit Binary File" action, the download starts but a lot of characters are shown in the terminal instead of the expected dots...

Is there any official Windows 10 support for the DCUTerm or NetDCU-USB-Loader tool?

Best Regards,
      Sven
      NetDCUUSBLoader and DCUTermi are both working with Windows10.

Does the "Connected at high-speed" message appear to indicate the USB connection?

Does the "Waiting for EBoot, U-Boot, NBoot, M4 Image..." message appear after pressing 'd'` for serial download?
      F&S Elektronik Systeme GmbH
      As this is an international forum, please try to post in English.
      Da dies ein internationales Forum ist, bitten wir darum, Beiträge möglichst in Englisch zu verfassen.
      At the moment I only used the DCUTerm tool. By trying to install the required USB driver including within the NetDCUUSBLoader tool, I got a error message about missing digital signature of the driver.

The "Waiting for EBoot, U-Boot, NBoot, M4 Image..." message does appear after pressing 'd' for the serial download.

Afterwards the bootloader image has been downloaded over the "Transmit Binary File" button. During the download process a lot of unexpected character sequences appear in the terminal and it was not possible to save the image by pressing 'f'.

I found a workaround by using the DCUTerm under Linux with wine. It works as expected and for me it is the preferred platform to download a bootloader image.
      You can also use the free terminal program Teraterm under windows. It has a menu entry "Send file..." and there is a checkmark "binary" to activate binary transfer.

In Linux you can use programs like picocom or minicom. Use the terminal program to start the download with 'd', then use a second shell and then copy the uboot.nb0 file to the serial device /dev/ttyS<x>. You should still see the dots in the terminal program.

If you just want to replace an existing U-Boot, you can also do this from U-Boot itself. Just download the file, e.g. by tftp and save it to the UBoot MTD partition:

Source Code

1. tftp uboot.nb0
      2. nand erase.part UBoot
      3. nand write $loadaddr UBoot $filesize

Your F&S Support Team
      Da dies ein internationales Forum ist, bitten wir darum, Beiträge möglichst in Englisch zu verfassen.
      For a bitwise copy in linux use the 'dd' tool.
      If you have established serial connection e.g. with one of the applications mentioned above and pressed 'd' for download simply one command is needed to get the stuff done.
      For example let's get a file uboot.nb0 that's located in your home folder to your board and let's assume your terminal is on /dev/ttyS1 type:

Source Code

1. sudo dd if=~/uboot.nb0 of=/dev/ttyS1

Now you should see the download progress.

Best Regards
      Your F&S Support Team
      Please select action
      'd' -> Serial download of bootloader
      'u' -> USB download Eboot/UBoot
      'E' -> Erase flash
      'B' -> Show bad blocks
      Use NetDCUUsbLoader for USB download
      USB download ..
      ERR: UNKNOWN SETUP Packet Type
      Setup Info: 0 , 0<<< ---- ERR: UNKNOWN SETUP Packet Type
      Setup Info: 0 , 0<<< ----

I also moved to Windows 10 recently, i disabled from UEFI the digital signature checking for drivers.
      The driver present with the NetDCU loader is not working when USB download is activated from Tera Term.
      If i try to make Windows decide for the proper driver, no driver is found and remain a unrecognized device.

If i force the driver on the device, the diagnostic on windows driver property is as following, (translated in english)

"Unable to load the device (Code 10).
      USB Address request set failed"

So i tried to use the serial boot (that for me never worked also before), if i send the .nb0 using teraterm (problems also with dcuterm), it starts going crazy, showing the same "Please select action" header during program time.
      Below some log (everytime is different), but serial connection is fine.
      Do you have some reliable guide to permit Windows 10 users to properly load u-boot? Also because we are all changing computer and older Windows are no more available.
      Check below some crazy report also from serial loading:

Please select action
      'E' -> Erase flash
      'B' -> Show bad blocks
      start to download ...
      #####################################################################################################file len=104122
      'f' -> Save image to flash

Please select action
      'E' -> Erase flash
      'B' -> Show bad blocks
      There is no data for download into Nandflash

Please select action
      'E' -> Erase flash
      'B' -> Show bad blocks
      ................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Done

Please select action
      'E' -> Erase flash
      'B' -> Show bad blocks
      start to download ...
      #####################################################################file len=70990
      'f' -> Save image to flash
      This seems to be a very old nboot version prior to V21. You have to update to a current nboot (V32 is current).
      Please give the full serial output so I can see which nboot you are using.
      Then I can give you some instructions for the update process.
      Never went to nano boot menu, at the time we started using your boards, F&S replied that we should not change it, so we just put the uboot but nboot given by you is unchanged.
      Also uboot and operative system was customized by us at that time, so it is difficult for us to move to new uboot / operative system.
      Is it possible to load a new nboot without changing behaviour of old uboot/os?
      Installing a new nboot should not affect U-Boot and OS.
      From the messages I can see that the nboot is around 3 years old.
      You have to change the nboot in order to get decent functionality.
      Please give the version of the installed nboot so I can give you the instructions for updating the nboot.
      I cannot at the moment, as that board was in a customer factory and now i am back in office.
      Our problem is: we have hundreds of these boards around the world and various technicians are making assistance to that with not much computer expertise or equipment.
      So for us is just a mess to do that, we cannot change firmware every 3 months...we have boards with different firmware, and as you declared some of them does not have "Decent functionality" in case we will need to reprogram on field.
      VERY IMPORTANT!

If you use software based on one of the releases of the V1.x series, then do *not* update NBoot (because there is no simple way to downgrade again). For fsimx6-V1.x, you need an NBoot from before VN20, the best is VN17. Only if you use software from release fsimx6-V2.0 or newer, you must use a newer NBoot, at the moment VN29 or newer is recommended. This was all explained in the release notes to fsimx6-V2.0.

Nonetheless keep in mind that the NAND code of fsimx6-V1.x is much less reliable than on newer versions and we do not take any responsibility for lost data if you still use this old version. We have newer versions with more stability available, so it is your responsibility to update your devices accordingly.

When you are using the old NBoot, please keep in mind that lower case 'd' and upper case 'D' have different meaning. Lower case 'd' is for downloading the main bootloader U-Boot and it expects a large file (512KB), upper case 'D' is for downloading a new NBoot and it expects a small file (64KB). You can see different characters while downloading, one is with '.......', one is with '######'. You have both variants above, which shows that you do not consequently use the right character.

The correct sequence to update U-Boot is: press lower case 'd', start "Transfer binary file" in DCUTerm/Teraterm, wait for download to complete, press 'f' to save. The garbage appears if you forget to press 'd' before selecting the file to download.

Your F&S Support Team
      I kindly ask again: there is a simple way to upgrade firmware with USB with Windows 10? We are in 2017 and as working with multiple cards around the world we cannot give that kind of assistance and it is not our fault if you previously supplied bugged code or now making different uncompatible software versions that are not easy to upgrade.
      I think we are not asking much, but as this is the situation we will look after for another board productor that will give a more professional and reliable upgrade system.
      Let me explain again.

In the past we had several releases for i.MX6 (usually called fsimx6):
      • V0.1 and V0.2 for QBlissA9 only (the V0.x series). This was 2012.
      • V1.0, V1.1, V1.2 (the V1.x series). This was 2013.
      • V2.0, V2.1 (the V2.x series). This was 2015.
      • V3.0. This was 2016. In the next few days there will be a new V3.1. (The 3.x series).

Between V1.1 and V2.0, we totally re-implemented the NAND flash access that made everything much more stable and reliable than before. This unfortunately also required a different NBoot. Such version steps that require a specific NBoot are very rare, actually this was the only case in the whole history of i.MX releases. The important thing is that you do not mix up versions from before and after. But it's still rather simple:
      • If you have software based on release V0.x or V1.x: use NBoot < VN20
      • If you have software based on release V2.x or V3.x: use NBoot >= VN20

I do not know what software you use in the field. So if you use software in the field that is based on a release before V2.0, then you also need the old NBoot. The output that you showed in the posting above, where there is the 'u' command available, *is* an old board with an old NBoot. We do not ship boards with this old NBoot anymore for quite some years now. So if you have these boards out in the field, our advise is *not* to update NBoot, because it is rather difficult to downgrade NBoot again once you are on a version >= VN20. Actually if you do use this old version on a regular basis, then you are most probably aware of this fact because we do ship our boards with a newer NBoot and you have to downgrade NBoot every time.

On the other hand if you just have an old board and want to install newer software (based on releases V2.0 or later), then you must upgrade NBoot first. Download NBoot VN17, because this was the last old NBoot release and it is a kind of "link" between old and new NBoot versions. It is basically an old NBoot, but already knows the format of the newer NBoot images and can install them. So update the board to this NBoot VN17. When this is on your board, you can update to every NBoot version >VN20. The newest version at the time of writing is VN35 (which may not be on the server yet), but VN29 or VN32 is OK, too.

Regarding update via USB cable. Actually NBoot and UBoot can be updated via USB connection. You need the NetDCUUSBLoader tool on the PC side. Select the file that you want to download. Then go to the board and start NBoot. Now simply start the download in NetDCUUSBLoader. (Well, in the old NBoot, you have to press 'u' first, this is not necessary in the current NBoot versions anymore). However the main Linux images (kernel, device tree, rootfs) must be installed in U-Boot. And U-Boot does not support a direct USB cable connection. In U-Boot, you can download files via Network (TFTP, NFS) or from an SD card or USB drive.

In the meantime we have also implemented an Update and Install mechanism in U-Boot where installation can take place automatically. So the environment has improved quite a lot since 2012. But if you have an old board or use old software, then you also have to deal with the limited options that were possible in these old versions. If you use newer versions, you also have more comfort.

Your F&S Support Team

Post was edited 1 time, last by “fs-support_HK” ().