DCUTerm Windows 10 Support

DCUTerm Windows 10 Support

Hello,

I'm trying to download the u-boot bootloader over the DCUTerm tool. By using the tool under Windows 7, the download of the bootloader works as expected. But by using the tool under Windows 10, it was not possible to download the bootloader.

It was possible to get into the NBoot menu and select the "Serial download of bootloader" action. Now, the NBoot is waiting for the u-boot image. After selecting the "Transmit Binary File" action, the download starts but a lot of characters are shown in the terminal instead of the expected dots...

Is there any official Windows 10 support for the DCUTerm or NetDCU-USB-Loader tool?

Best Regards,
      Sven
      NetDCUUSBLoader and DCUTermi are both working with Windows10.

Does the "Connected at high-speed" message appear to indicate the USB connection?

Does the "Waiting for EBoot, U-Boot, NBoot, M4 Image..." message appear after pressing 'd'` for serial download?
      F&S Elektronik Systeme GmbH
      As this is an international forum, please try to post in English.
      Da dies ein internationales Forum ist, bitten wir darum, Beiträge möglichst in Englisch zu verfassen.
      At the moment I only used the DCUTerm tool. By trying to install the required USB driver including within the NetDCUUSBLoader tool, I got a error message about missing digital signature of the driver.

The "Waiting for EBoot, U-Boot, NBoot, M4 Image..." message does appear after pressing 'd' for the serial download.

Afterwards the bootloader image has been downloaded over the "Transmit Binary File" button. During the download process a lot of unexpected character sequences appear in the terminal and it was not possible to save the image by pressing 'f'.

I found a workaround by using the DCUTerm under Linux with wine. It works as expected and for me it is the preferred platform to download a bootloader image.
      You can also use the free terminal program Teraterm under windows. It has a menu entry "Send file..." and there is a checkmark "binary" to activate binary transfer.

In Linux you can use programs like picocom or minicom. Use the terminal program to start the download with 'd', then use a second shell and then copy the uboot.nb0 file to the serial device /dev/ttyS<x>. You should still see the dots in the terminal program.

If you just want to replace an existing U-Boot, you can also do this from U-Boot itself. Just download the file, e.g. by tftp and save it to the UBoot MTD partition:

Source Code

1. tftp uboot.nb0
      2. nand erase.part UBoot
      3. nand write $loadaddr UBoot $filesize

Your F&S Support Team
      Da dies ein internationales Forum ist, bitten wir darum, Beiträge möglichst in Englisch zu verfassen.
      For a bitwise copy in linux use the 'dd' tool.
      If you have established serial connection e.g. with one of the applications mentioned above and pressed 'd' for download simply one command is needed to get the stuff done.
      For example let's get a file uboot.nb0 that's located in your home folder to your board and let's assume your terminal is on /dev/ttyS1 type:

Source Code

1. sudo dd if=~/uboot.nb0 of=/dev/ttyS1

Now you should see the download progress.

Best Regards
      Your F&S Support Team

New

Please select action
      'd' -> Serial download of bootloader
      'u' -> USB download Eboot/UBoot
      'E' -> Erase flash
      'B' -> Show bad blocks
      Use NetDCUUsbLoader for USB download
      USB download ..
      ERR: UNKNOWN SETUP Packet Type
      Setup Info: 0 , 0<<< ---- ERR: UNKNOWN SETUP Packet Type
      Setup Info: 0 , 0<<< ----

I also moved to Windows 10 recently, i disabled from UEFI the digital signature checking for drivers.
      The driver present with the NetDCU loader is not working when USB download is activated from Tera Term.
      If i try to make Windows decide for the proper driver, no driver is found and remain a unrecognized device.

If i force the driver on the device, the diagnostic on windows driver property is as following, (translated in english)

"Unable to load the device (Code 10).
      USB Address request set failed"

So i tried to use the serial boot (that for me never worked also before), if i send the .nb0 using teraterm (problems also with dcuterm), it starts going crazy, showing the same "Please select action" header during program time.
      Below some log (everytime is different), but serial connection is fine.
      Do you have some reliable guide to permit Windows 10 users to properly load u-boot? Also because we are all changing computer and older Windows are no more available.
      Check below some crazy report also from serial loading:

Please select action
      'E' -> Erase flash
      'B' -> Show bad blocks
      start to download ...
      #####################################################################################################file len=104122
      'f' -> Save image to flash

Please select action
      'E' -> Erase flash
      'B' -> Show bad blocks
      There is no data for download into Nandflash

Please select action
      'E' -> Erase flash
      'B' -> Show bad blocks
      ................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Done

Please select action
      'E' -> Erase flash
      'B' -> Show bad blocks
      start to download ...
      #####################################################################file len=70990
      'f' -> Save image to flash

New

This seems to be a very old nboot version prior to V21. You have to update to a current nboot (V32 is current).
      Please give the full serial output so I can see which nboot you are using.
      Then I can give you some instructions for the update process.

New

Never went to nano boot menu, at the time we started using your boards, F&S replied that we should not change it, so we just put the uboot but nboot given by you is unchanged.
      Also uboot and operative system was customized by us at that time, so it is difficult for us to move to new uboot / operative system.
      Is it possible to load a new nboot without changing behaviour of old uboot/os?

New

Installing a new nboot should not affect U-Boot and OS.
      From the messages I can see that the nboot is around 3 years old.
      You have to change the nboot in order to get decent functionality.
      Please give the version of the installed nboot so I can give you the instructions for updating the nboot.