PicComA5 problems with Remote Tools and VS 2008

• I have a PicoCom3 where everything works as it should: ActiveSync, Remote Tools, sysisapi.dll, connect to device in VS 2008.

Now I have replaced the PicoCom3 with a PicoComA5 on the same starter board, seems to work well. Screen works, Active Sync works, I can access the PicoCom with Explorer, sysisapi.dll access works.

But, and a big but, remote tools refuse to connect and Visual Studio says

Connect to to PicoCOM4 core ARMV4I device
    Connection failed. The bootstrap could not be loaded.

Now, I have been told (by F&S) that the fact that PicoCom4 is mentioned and not A5 shouldn't be a problem and I can't select a PicoComA5 from inside VS 2008 anyway because there isn't one, only the old PicoCom3 and the PicoCom4.

So, any ideas why a lot is working but not remote tools and not VS 2008?

Regards,
    Dag Hovden

• Hello,

i can connect PicoCOMA5 and i also cannot select the PicoCOMA5 SDK, it is not avaliable until today. So i think this is not the problem!
    Which OS did you run on PicoCOMA5? Are the behavior different between run EC7 or CE6?
    And please install all updates and patches for VS2008.

• Hello,

I'm running CE7, should that make a difference?
    What I find strange is that everything works, also the ActiveSync connection, allowing me to browse files on the PicoCom, but not Remote Tools and not VS2008. You would think that VS2008 also would make use of the ActiveSync connection.

Is CE7 better in any way when compared to CE6? Otherwise I'd be happy to go back to CE6 and install that kernel. The CE7 kernel was pre-installed.

Regards,
    Dag

• Checked that my VS2008 is up to date - it is.
    Tried to connect with a PicoCom4 board - worked straight away.
    Tried to download CE6 image to A5 board instead - got an error message entering 'du' in EBoot
    Stuck! And not impressed with F&S tools and docs :-(

• Dear F&S Elektronik Systeme

Could I please have a response on this topic, one that doesn't just say "it works for me"!!

Summary of problem:

1) With CE7 kernel, cannot connect with VS2008 (can see board with Explorer)
    2) Cannot install CE6 kernel because 'du' gives error message (see my other post)
    3) Cannot install CE6 kernel with 'de' because eshell doesn't seem to work

Regards,
    Dag Hovden

• Hello,
    did you install CE6 via Ethernet with EShell in the meanwhile? Do Remote Tools are working with this OS?
    Did you patch your VS? And does this resolve the Problems under CE7?

F&S Elektronik Systeme GmbH
    As this is an international forum, please try to post in English.
    Da dies ein internationales Forum ist, bitten wir darum, Beiträge möglichst in Englisch zu verfassen.

• Hello,

thanks for your update. But now i am really sure that the reason is a missing component in VS. I will invastigate ... .

Da dies ein internationales Forum ist, bitten wir darum, Beiträge möglichst in Englisch zu verfassen.

• Hello,

the problem seems to be widespread, as i found a lot of threads in the www. Sometimes it may help to delete "<instdir>\Documents and Settings\<YOUR USERNAME>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Corecon\1.0" (please backup it:).
    Does this help in your case? Sorry nobody in ou company have this problem, so we cannot test it.