gx.dll on target

• Hello,

I want to use the GAPI-functionality on the target. Therfore I copy gx.dll into the appliaction folder at runtime and then start an application which performs a LoadLibrary-call to gx.dll. This call fails (library can not be loaded).
    I also tried to copy it into the windows folder but same error. The application works fine on another target.
    Is there the need to register the gx.dll specially within the system? Any idea?

• Hello,

do your other platforms run on Windows CE or on Windows Mobile?

DKuhne.

F&S Elektronik Systeme GmbH
    As this is an international forum, please try to post in English.
    Da dies ein internationales Forum ist, bitten wir darum, Beiträge möglichst in Englisch zu verfassen.

• Hello,

to understand you right: you are able to load the Dll under Windows CE 5.0?
    Because i read on the web that there is no support for gx.dll under Windows CE.

DKuhne.

F&S Elektronik Systeme GmbH
    As this is an international forum, please try to post in English.
    Da dies ein internationales Forum ist, bitten wir darum, Beiträge möglichst in Englisch zu verfassen.

• I have targets where I can load the gx.dll under WinCE 5.
    For sure there's gx.dll for WinCE 5.. Sometimes it's not automatically delivered with the system, but usually you get the gx.dll for nearly every target (e.g. ARM, ...).
    An example is e.g. the Fujitsu Loox N100 which is running WinCE 5 on a Samsung processor (only running at 300MHz) and provides a gx.dll which can be loaded dynamically.

Loading on other targets with WinCE 5 works fine. I don't know if it's an issue of WinCE 6 or of the particular target configuration.

• Have a look at this page: Link. There You'll find a GAPI, that works on many devices with Windows CE from 3.0 up to 5.0 and some Handheld PC devices (where GAPI isn't supported by default too). In the release notes, I can't find any device with Windows CE 6.0, but nevertheless, it is working here on my PicoCOM2 with Windows CE 6.0 (at least the integrated tests).

• From my understanding one change from CE5 to CE6 was the "enhancement" of how to access to a physical memory.
    In WinCE5 I called GXGetDisplayProperties to get the physical framebuffer address. On WinCE6 an address is returned from the gx.dll, but I don't think it's the real physical adress.
    I'm not the expert for WinCE but is the fullKernel-mode still available with CE 6? If not the access to the framebuffer-address is not working out of the box.
    <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.eggheadcafe.com/conversation.aspx?messageid=32860285&threadid=32860266">http://www.eggheadcafe.com/conversation ... d=32860266</a><!-- m -->

Do you have an example of an application using gx.dll on WinCE6?

Here's another link with maybe additional information (usage of user mode driver as kernel function can no more be accessed directly in user mode)
    <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.pocketpcjunkies.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/wince-pb/13526/Allocating-and-accessing-physically-contiguous-memory-in-user">http://www.pocketpcjunkies.com/Uwe/Foru ... ry-in-user</a><!-- m -->

• Quote from "htefs"

Have a look at this page: Link. There You'll find a GAPI, that works on many devices with Windows CE from 3.0 up to 5.0 and some Handheld PC devices (where GAPI isn't supported by default too). In the release notes, I can't find any device with Windows CE 6.0, but nevertheless, it is working here on my PicoCOM2 with Windows CE 6.0 (at least the integrated tests).

Hi,
    i've downloaded the software from your Link and tested it on a NetDCU10, it don´t work. Is there a different in the WinCE 6 Version of the PicoCOM2 and the NetDCU10?
    I get every time the Message "Aplication XXX.exe encountered a serious error and must shut down", and the taskbar disapeared after that massage.
    Have somebody the same problem or can give me a solution or hint what I can do?

regards
    Tim

• It really seems to be a problem of gx.dll on the WinCE 6 BSP.
    According to the archtitecture of Win CE 6 there's definetely the need for a User Mode Driver to abstract the kernel function call to get the framebuffer.
    To b honest I can not believe that the gx.dll is running fine on a WinCE 6 target. It runs, but the functionality is not ok, because a wrong pointer to the framebuffer is returned. All function calls (like e.g. GetDisplayProperties) which do not access the kernel, work fine, but all others don't.

Currently there's no GAPI available for any WinCE 6 device (e.g of a PNA, handheld, ...).