Bug in Update.exe

• Hello,

maybe there is a bug in application Update.exe?
    When I start display on NetDCU6 and with reg parameter Launch100 = CheckAutoStart.exe,
    the USB listener is activated. When I plug an USB stick in and after one scond out, I get an
    "Fatal Application Error".

Code
    1. Program: Update.exe
    2. Exception: 0xC0000005
    3. Address: 8003E24C

Maybe you can reproduce that?
    Is that an system tool or from F&S?

Best regards

• Do you want to start an update process and have copied the update programm on the USB Stick?
    What is the directory structure on your USB Stick?

The update programm has been developed from F&S. Which version do you use currently?
    Could you please provide us a complete debug trace?

Software developer, F&S Elektronik Systeme GmbH
    As this is an international forum, please try to post in English.
    Da dies ein internationales Forum ist, bitten wir darum, Beiträge möglichst in Englisch zu verfassen.

• The error happens only when I plug in the stick and remove it again quickly (before the update window is visible).
    When I let in in for a few seconds, the update window appears and Update.exe is executed correctly, even if I remove the usb stick.
    Maybe this is a system problem?

How can I detect the version? In properties there is no version.
    It's generated on 7. 7. 2009
    changed on 26. 3. 2009
    Size is 22.016 Bytes and 22.528 Bytes on usb stick.
    It's in \NetDCU6 folder on the usb stick.
    How to create a complete debug trace?

Also a problem could be the size of an usb stick. When it ist larger, it needs more time to detect an USB stick.

• Quote from "Kaiser"

The error happens only when I plug in the stick and remove it again quickly (before the update window is visible).

Well, even if the window is not visible, the program can already be running. But as WinCE is a demand paged system, the program is not loaded in one go and then executed. Instead the code is loaded page by page as it is demanded, i.e. as the code execution proceeds. So for example the program reaches the place where it wants to show the dialog window, but you have already removed the stick and the requested code can not be loaded from the EXE file anymore. This may well result in such an error message.

F&S Elektronik Systeme GmbH
    Da dies ein internationales Forum ist, bitten wir darum, Beiträge möglichst in Englisch zu verfassen.

• Quote from "Kaiser"

How can I detect the version? In properties there is no version.
    It's generated on 7. 7. 2009
    changed on 26. 3. 2009
    Size is 22.016 Bytes and 22.528 Bytes on usb stick.
    It's in \NetDCU6 folder on the usb stick.

The Update version should be announce on the debug port. But your executable already looks like the latest version for Netdcu6 (V1.2).

Quote from "Kaiser"

How to create a complete debug trace?

Is the Debug-Port available on your baseboard generally? You could use our DCUTermi programm to create a debug trace.

Quote from "Kaiser"

Also a problem could be the size of an usb stick. When it ist larger, it needs more time to detect an USB stick.

Have your already tested this with another USB stick?
    Is there also a script file available on the USB stick? If yes please post it here.

• Is this the debug trace you expected?

Code
    1. +WriteRegistryToOEM
    2. WriteRegistryToOEM: writing registry 2
    3. Erase Registry................................
    4. -WriteRegistryToOEM
    5. Exception 002 Thread=81c58df0 Proc=a1c58a82
    6. AKY=00000201 PC=8003e24c RA=8003e324 BVA=1401a00c
    7. Process 'Update.exe'
    8. Exception 002 Thread=81c58df0 Proc=a1c58a82
    9. AKY=00000201 PC=8004604c RA=80046018 BVA=14019000
    10. Process 'Update.exe'

Have your already tested this with another USB stick?
    Is there also a script file available on the USB stick? If yes please post it here.

I tried an hama 2GByte USB stick - and it is recognized by the NetDCU6.
    I can change to "hard disk" with cd command. But when I start the dir command, it takes several minutes until I get the result!!
    This happens only for the first call of dir. After second call of dir I get the reult immediately.
    Best results I get with very small sticks (256MB) but they are unfortunately no more available to buy.

I don't think it is a script problem. Everything works fine when stick is not removed.

• Quote from "Kaiser"

I don't think it is a script problem. Everything works fine when stick is not removed.

Quote from "Kaiser"

The error happens only when I plug in the stick and remove it again quickly (before the update window is visible).

As fs-support_HK posted before the problem might be caused by Windows CE demand paging.
    If you intend to use the update programm to update your system it should never be a good idea to unplug the cable while the programm is running, as update will continusly read data from USB stick.

So what is the need to unplug the cable while the update programm is running?

So what is the need to unplug the cable while the update programm is running?

Ther is no need to do something like that. It was just an "accident".
    But you don't know what customers do!
    I just wanted to inform about that problem and maybe find a solution.
    When an acces on big sticks takes a long time it is not absurd to remove the USB stick.