Connecting to a shared folder using "net use"

• I have the following setup:

Windows CE 6.00 running on a NetDCU11 board connected to the company network. The IP Address is obtained by DHCP which seems to work because the IP Address I see seems to be correct. Starting the system with an unplugged network cable I get 0.0.0.0 as IP Address. Plugging the cable I see after a while valid IP Address. I set the IP Address of the DNS server and the WINS server to the same value which I obtained from the Windows 7 System I try to connect to.

The target is a Windows 7 Professional system. The system is on the same network.

Pluging the network cable into a Windows XP machine I can make a connection using "net use K: \\Nbhersacher\Users\Public\Documents\Eschke <mypassword> /User:ETL\WH".

These tests shows, that the hardware is OK and the shared folder can be connected.

On Windows CE I used "net use Plans \\Nbhersacher\Users\Public\Documents\Eschke" trying to make a connection. I get "Command failed: status 53".
    Adding /User:ETL\WH or /User:\\ETL\WH does not change anything.
    I added the username, password and autologon to the registry in \System\NETUI.

What do I need to check to get the connection working?

• As the error message sais "The network path was not found." please try to ping your host first.

Additionally please make sure that the windows network share is set up correctly on your Win7 PC. Are the access right set correctly for the user you are trying to connect with?

Have you already checked debug output. Are there any additional information. There should be at least a message from NETUI module, reporting a securing hint like "Autlogon enabled".

Software developer, F&amp;S Elektronik Systeme GmbH
    As this is an international forum, please try to post in English.
    Da dies ein internationales Forum ist, bitten wir darum, Beiträge möglichst in Englisch zu verfassen.

• Hello,

Ping is working and gets an answer from the system.

The access rights should be correct because I can connect from a WinXP and a Windows 7 machine with the same user and password.

Are the values in the registry sensitive to the casing?
    A reg enum value * on System\NETUI shows:

00 "UserName" = string:ETL\WH \
    01 "Password"=string:<mypassword> \
    02 "AutoLogon"=dword:1 \

Since I'm really new to Windows CE and my predecessor has not left any documentation for me it would be a help if I can get some links to documentation or which CDs I can to try to search for.
    Therefore I dont have any idea how to get the debug output.

• Hello,
    just a hint. I did not set username and password on ce device. I call "net use \\zutter\temp /user: czutter", now i have to enter username, password and domain. Witheout specify domain i get also error 53, enter domain i get "mapped successfully". So maybe you have to specify your domain.

F&S Elektronik Systeme GmbH
    Da dies ein internationales Forum ist, bitten wir darum, Beiträge möglichst in Englisch zu verfassen.

• Hello,

I removed all entries in the registry from System\NETUI.

Even "net use Plans \\Nbhersacher\Users\Public\Documents\Eschke" does not request any user, password or domain information. It responds immediatly with "Command failed: status 53".
    Running ping it lasts some seconds before I see the first line with the complete name "nbhersacher.etl.local" and the IP address. The ping replies are less than 3 ms.

• Now I found the documentation of the starter kit for the NETDCU 8 and NETDUC 11 boards we use.

The problem not to be able to make a connection appears on both boards. the following is done with a NETDCU 8 board.

I connected my PC to the COM2 and startet DCUTerm program.

Without a network cable plugged into the board I get the following output:

Connecting a network cable I get the output:

Trying to step into debug mode with Shift+S during boot didn't work. The NetDCU Config Uitility will start regardless of the 'S'.

• Error number 53 indicates a problem resolving the host name.
    use the 'ipconfig' program from the command shell to show the current adapter settings and check the DNS settings.

• ipconfig /all reports the same data as the registry presented by my second code block.

ping using the IP address is working in both directions from the NetDCU to my desktop and vice versa.

ping using the host name is working from the NetDCU to my desktop but not in the other direction. ping could not found the host NetDCU8_CF2.

I changed the setting to static IP Address, saved the registry and rebooted.

In this case ipconfig /all reports 0.0.0.0 for IP Address and Subnet Mask. In Control panel -> network connections -> dm9ce1 the IP Address and Subnetmask from the registry is displayed.

net use will fail with error number 53 trying to connect to my computer.

I need to correct myself:
    I unplugged the cable during the change to static IP and forgot to plug it again.

ipconfig /all is reporting the correct IP Address and Subnet Mask.

• We made a lot of tests with variant configurations.

net use is working with an explicit share of the folder. This works with a Win XP, Win 7 32bit, Win 7 64 bit and Windows 2003 Server host.

What confused me was the fact that a Win7 host allows to map a folder to a Win XP and Win 7 client in the case the folder is a public folder. In my case all folders under C:\Users\Public\Documents can be mapped. This does not work for a Windows CE client machine.

I would like to thank the people at F&S in the help to analyze that there is no problem on the Windows CE part.

• One of my customers is using a Windows 2008 R2 Server. He wants to connect to a share on this server but this does not work. The system people of my customer do not know a solution.

Does anyone know how to configure a share on a Win 2008 R2 Server that can be used by Win CE 5.0.0 and WinCE 6.0.0?

• Have you already checked
    <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://download.fs-net.de/">http://download.fs-net.de/</a><!-- m -->

In this area you find new kernel image for NetDCU11 and explanation (->changelog) of all changes.
    The newest image includes all Microsoft QFEs until end of 2011.
    Have you already tested the newest image ?
    Do you have still the same problem ?

• No I didn't change the kernel. We are using the boards with the kernel coming from the distributor.

Since I'm new to working with the CE kernel I need some time to find all information I need to replace the kernel. I even have to find out which we are running now. It seems that there are three different versions on the download page.
    NK11Core_D3D_CF2_120411.zip kernel with CompactFramework2
    NK11_D3D_CF2_IE_MP_120322.zip kernel with CompactFramework2 and Internet Explorer (we do not have an Internet Explorer icon on the desktop)
    NK11_D3D_CF35_IE_MP_120322.zip kernel with CompactFramework3.5 and Internet Explorer

We are building for CompactFramework2 as I see from the project file (VS 2008).

• Hello,
    use this kernel "NK11Core_D3D_CF2_120411.zip" and install latest NDCUUSBLoader. While installtion you get access to a "readme" which give you short instruction how to update kernel.

• Hello,
    i checked your problem using the latest kernel. The problem persists, i can connect to a XP/W7 work station but not to a server!
    I will check options and come back to you asp.

PS: when i found the problem you can update the boards using NetDCUUSBLoader (or "kernelupdate" program for boards in the field).

• Hello,
    please use the latest CE6 kernel and "ping" before attach the drive:

Code
    1. ping fs-sbs2008
    2. net use * \\fs-sbs2008\test

This seems to work always. If i omit the fist line it does not work always and i have to do some retries!
    Hope this helps.

• Hi all,

we had a similar problem with our CE images... make sure, your time is set correctly at the CE device (timezone, date and time). Only by using the correct date and time we were always successful in establishing connections to a Windows Server.

Kind regards,

- ORA

• My test system was running in the correct time zone but in 2006. I changed the date and time, rebooted the system but I cannot log on. I always get logon failed. Misspelling in the server name or connection will result in error 53 or 67 so that's not the case.

The system is running:
    Windows CE Kernel for ARM (Thumb Enabled) Built on Sep 14 2011 at 17:32:03

NetDCU11 V1.27 - Firmware Init
    Copyright (c) 2007 F&S Elektronik Systeme GmbH
    Build: Apr 11 2012/12:43:52

The NetDCU8 boards running Win CE5 are in the same timezone but in 2003. There the log on is no problem.

• Hello,
    we will add NTLM feature into the next kernel release.
    My (extented) test shows me that this resolves the problem (i will provide you an image for testing too).