Unfunctional gcc

• Hello,
    I have installed fs-toolchain-4.4.3 according to document README.txt, but when I try to compile linux kernel, every call of arm-fs-linux-gnueabi-gcc displays message "Floating point exception".
    Even if I try to show version of gcc, the same message appears.
    Where could be problem?

PC where toolchain is installed runs under slax (slackware), version 2.6.16 (gcc 3.4.6).

Kamil

• I always call the tools with the arm-linux- prefix. Maybe this makes a difference.

Can you check with ldd if all required libraries are available?

F&S Elektronik Systeme GmbH
    As this is an international forum, please try to post in English.
    Da dies ein internationales Forum ist, bitten wir darum, Beiträge möglichst in Englisch zu verfassen.

• First I tried to call arm-linux-gcc, but because of error I tried to use arm-fs-linux-gnueabi-gcc directly as arm-linux-gcc is only a link. Anyway there is no difference in their behaviour, the same error message is returned.

Here is ldd output:
    linux-gate.so.1 => (0xffffe000)
    libc.so.6 => /lib/tls/libc.so.6 (0xb7e00000)
    /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb7f42000)

Version information:
    ./arm-fs-linux-gnueabi-gcc:
    libc.so.6 (GLIBC_2.3) => /lib/tls/libc.so.6
    libc.so.6 (GLIBC_2.2) => /lib/tls/libc.so.6
    libc.so.6 (GLIBC_2.1) => /lib/tls/libc.so.6
    libc.so.6 (GLIBC_2.0) => /lib/tls/libc.so.6
    /lib/tls/libc.so.6:
    ld-linux.so.2 (GLIBC_2.1) => /lib/ld-linux.so.2
    ld-linux.so.2 (GLIBC_2.3) => /lib/ld-linux.so.2
    ld-linux.so.2 (GLIBC_PRIVATE) => /lib/ld-linux.so.2
    ld-linux.so.2 (GLIBC_2.0) => /lib/ld-linux.so.2

• I can't see any apparent problem. Did you set the PATH variable accordingly that the subprograms are actually found? gcc is only a kind of wrapper that calls the required subprograms like compiler, assembler, linker, etc.

But I would guess that the Linux on your distribution is simply too old. 2.6.16 is from 2005. Compilation wouldn't run anyway. We had problems with systems using a GNU make older than V3.82. So I would recommend using a more up-to-date Linux. For example we are currently developing under Fedora 14. You could try out a live CD from Fedora to see that the compiler there actually is working.

F&S Elektronik Systeme GmbH
    As this is an international forum, please try to post in English.
    Da dies ein internationales Forum ist, bitten wir darum, Beiträge möglichst in Englisch zu verfassen.