Problems getting started

• Let me begin with what works (because nothing else does): DCUTerm

But in of the PDF's it says "To open one of these boot menus, the following characters must be entered while booting
    the PicoCOM: ...." - but entered from where? From my PC keyboard? Because if I do, I only get loads of 'SSSS' on the DCUTerm window and I always get the same boot menu anyway, with DE, DU, MF, MR and the rest. So could someone please explain what that means.

Next question: do I have to download a WindowsCE kernel image to get started or is one already present in the PicoCom? I get nothing on the display so I assume that is because Windows is missing - is that correct?

I have tried to download a kernel image but with no luck

USB: the drivers do not install (Windows Vista) so I never get a green light in the NetDCU USB loader
    Ethernet: DE gives me this

HW-Watchdog: OFF
    Ne2kDbg:: MAC set to : FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF
    ETH - HWSetMCRegs: Set all to 0x00
    INFO: *** Device Name 'PicoCOM365535' ***
    INFO: *** Device Name 'PicoCOM365535' ***
    InitDHCP():: Calling ProcessDHCP()
    ProcessDHCP()::DHCP_INIT
    DHCP server is not responding !!! Aborting.
    ERROR: OEMPreDownload: Failed to initialize Ethernet connection.
    ERROR: OEMPreDownload: Failed to initialize Ethernet connection.
    Disable AUTO BOOT
    Press >S< to step into monitor...
    HW-Watchdog: OFF

with quite a long wait between ProcessDHCP() and the abort. So that doesn't work either.

There is a DHCP server in my system, my telephone connects without a problem.
    Can I enter a static IP address instead, for now? 'N' allows me to set Ethernet protocol but start by asking for MAC address, which I haven't got..

So, all in all, very little progress. I really hope you can help me sort this out ...

• Hello,

... must be entered while booting the PicoCOM: ...." - but entered from where?

Into the terminal from PC!

USB: the drivers do not install (Windows Vista) so I never get a green light in the NetDCU USB loader

Did you install latest version (32/64Bit)?

Ethernet: DE gives me this ...

Bootloaders MAC seems to be incorrect (FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF)! Please enter bootloader command "I" for verify my assumption. You should enter a MAC were the highest byte is zero. Use bootloader command "N" for this purpose. These MAC is only used for kernel download in bootloader.

• Hello,

After much rebooting I managed to get the USB drivers installed and to download the kernel. All was well, except the display didn't work. I could even access the file system through an entry PicoCom3 in the Explorer, showing 3 entries. However, this morning these 3 were gone and after rebooting the PicoCom, the PicoCom entry was gone as well.

The PicoCom does work however because the web server is active on the IP address (which is 192.168.0.56). Here is the end of the boot sequence

UART: Version 1.3, Key = Drivers\Active\33
    DEBUG: UART0 SYSINTR : 28
    BCS: Version 1.1, ActiveKey = Drivers\Active\34
    DIO: Version 2.1, ActiveKey = Drivers\Active\35
    NI2C: Version 3.0, ActiveKey = Drivers\Active\36
    LCD: Version 1.4, ActiveKey = Drivers\Display\LCD
    LCD: Read registry settings from Drivers\Display\LCD
    LCD: Display-Mode 100, Name EDT ET070080
    Width: 800 Height: 480 Bpp: 16
    TCHPDD: Version 1.6, Key = HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\TOUCH
    TCHKEY: Version 1.0, Key = HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\TOUCH\VirtualKeys
    NDCUCFG V: 044 started. Platform: PicoCOM3
    NDCUCFG Open COM1: at 38400 Baud
    CreateFile() failed -> ERROR COM1:
    CheckAutoStart: Version 1.5, LaunchNum = 100
    +OEMSetAlarmTime(3/12/2006 2:0:0.000)

Looks OK to me. And here is the output from the boot loader I command:

PicoCOM3 boot options valid : YES
    Start Download after reboot : no
    Download kernel to : FLASH
    Kernel load/store compression : OFF
    Size of area for OS image : 24 MB
    Size of FFSDISK : 40 MB
    Format of FFSDISK : FAT
    F3S serial number :
    Launch image after reboot : yes
    Output debug messages at serial port : yes
    Bootloader Network setting valid : YES
    -MAC Address : FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF
    -Use DHCP to get IP address: YES
    WindowsCE MAC address valid : yes
    -WindowsCE MAC Address : 0:5:51:5:38:5B

So, I have three questions

1) Why can't I see the PicoCom3 in the Explorer anymore? There are no disabled/unknown devices in Device Manager
    Is the Windows Mobile stuff used for this? Because RapiMgr and WcesComm are having problems on my PC, all of a sudden. Please tell me I don't need this to work with the PicoCom because of all the bad stuff Microsoft has produced over the years, that may well be the worst.

2) Why doesn't the display work? It is and EDT ET070080 and as you can see above, I have created a mode 100 according to your documentation although it seems to be necessary since the default mode is also ET070080.
    I'm pretty sure I've got the connections right, please see pictures at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.penguinprograms.nl/picocom/">http://www.penguinprograms.nl/picocom/</a><!-- m -->

3) How can I download files to the PicoCom?

Any help much appreciated.

1) Why can't I see the PicoCom3 in the Explorer anymore? There are no disabled/unknown devices in Device Manager
    Is the Windows Mobile stuff used for this? Because RapiMgr and WcesComm are having problems on my PC, all of a sudden. Please tell me I don't need this to work with the PicoCom because of all the bad stuff Microsoft has produced over the years, that may well be the worst.

Did you post the complete debug output above? There is missing the USB device driver entry.
    Please try to reset regstry with bootloader command "R".

2) Why doesn't the display work? It is and EDT ET070080 and as you can see above, I have created a mode 100 according to your documentation although it seems to be necessary since the default mode is also ET070080.
    I'm pretty sure I've got the connections right, please see pictures at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.penguinprograms.nl/picocom/">http://www.penguinprograms.nl/picocom/</a><!-- m -->

You are right. You don't need to create a new mode. By default the PicoCOM is configured for ET080080 (@ default mode 0). Please have a look at the Device driver documentation for more details.
    Our HW-department will verify the pictures you posted above and answer this thread in short term.

3) How can I download files to the PicoCom?

You could either use ActiveSync or FTP to transfer failes onto the board. Maybe the FSDeviceSpy Uitlity is helpful for you. You will find it in the tools section in our download area: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://download.fs-net.de">http://download.fs-net.de</a><!-- m --> .

Software developer, F&amp;S Elektronik Systeme GmbH
    As this is an international forum, please try to post in English.
    Da dies ein internationales Forum ist, bitten wir darum, Beiträge möglichst in Englisch zu verfassen.

• I thought I had read somewhere that FSDeviceSpy didn't work with the PicoCom3. I have tried it a couple of times but always get an empty list and nothing else. Should it work and, if so, what should I see?

Do I need ActiveSync working to be able to work effectively from VS2008?

When using VS2008 Prof, do I still need to install the SDK?

Curious to see what your hardware has to say about the display problem ...

Regards,
    Dag Hovden

• Ragarding your display issue:
    You need to connect 3.3V to the VCFL Pin of the starterkit. It might be possible that this is not pointed out in the first steps documentation. Therefore please refer to documentation of EDT display adapter at: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.fs-net.de/download/docu/netdcu/english/NetDCU_ADP-EDT1_eng.pdf">http://www.fs-net.de/download/docu/netd ... T1_eng.pdf</a><!-- m --> .

Do I need ActiveSync working to be able to work effectively from VS2008?

Not necessarily. But it is the easiest way to develop and debug applications.

When using VS2008 Prof, do I still need to install the SDK?

Yes.

Software developer, F&amp;S Elektronik Systeme GmbH
    Da dies ein internationales Forum ist, bitten wir darum, Beiträge möglichst in Englisch zu verfassen.

• Thank you, the screen now works.
    But your documentation is, I have to say, not very good. In the referenced document it says:

"If JP8 is set, the power supply of LED backlight is via VCFL input (3.3V) at the SKIT ! "

This mentions only the backlight, not the entire screen. And OK, SKIT is Starter Kit, I could figure that one out but why not write 'Starter kit' or just 'PicoCom board'. There is so much to read, digest and understand when setting up a system like this that the documentation needs to be as clear and obvious as possible. And yours isn't ...

ActiveSync: is really shaky, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Of course, that thas always been the case with ActiveSync.

Regards,
    DH

• the ET070080 backlight needs 600mA, this is 30% more power than ET057080.
    The power regulator on the starterkit is limited to 1.5A, so the probability to overload the regulator is higher.
    This leads to resets and other unpredictable behavior.
    Best practice is to use a seperate power supply for the backlight.

F&S Elektronik Systeme GmbH