Current Version of BSP for NETDCU 8 and NETDCU 10

• Hello F&S support,

for the next projects we want to migrate from NETDCU 8 to NETDCU 10, mainly because of lower power consumption and the second CAN port.

The BSP we are currently using seems to be pretty old (BSP 1.4, gcc version 3.4.4 (released May 18, 2005), Linux kernel 2.6.15 ), especially support for C++11 is completely missing.

The Linux GPIO userspace interface is also lacking (introduced with kernel 2.6.27).

A BSP version for NETDCU 10 based upon recent versions of the components mentioned above would be fine !

Regards

Volker

• The NetDCU10 BSP is a little bit newer, kernel 2.6.19, but I agree that's not much of an improvement. In general I would not recommend using the NetDCU8 or NetDCU10 for new projects. There Linux support was handled by emlix, and -- because these boards are already a little aged -- I doubt that they will do any software upgrades for these boards these days any more.

I suggest using the NetDCU14 instead. This is a completely new board where we will ship the first samples at the beginning of August. Linux will be available around the end of September. Here we'll do the Linux support directly at F&S and the kernel will be at least 3.3, GCC at least 4.6.3. The NetDCU14 has more features (e.g. video playback, 3D acceleration, a much faster Cortex A8 CPU) and is less expensive at the same time. So there really is no reason to use the NetDCU10 anymore.

Your F&S Support Team

F&S Elektronik Systeme GmbH
    As this is an international forum, please try to post in English.
    Da dies ein internationales Forum ist, bitten wir darum, Beiträge möglichst in Englisch zu verfassen.

• The NetDCU14 looks really good indeed and we think about this migration path. Because power consumption is also a selection criteria it is possible that we have to stick to the NetDCU10.

Btw. is the Linux BSP for the NetDCU10 included in any of the Starter Kits or do we have to order the BSP for Linux separately ?

Regards

Volker

• The handling of the two boards is quite different because one is supported by emlix and one by F&S.

NetDCU10: BSP included with Starterkit. Support via emlix. Info about included software can be found here. This is what you get, any enhancements have to be done by emlix.

NetDCU14: BSP is included with Starterkit, you also get the password for the appropriate download directory where you can download new versions of the BSP as they get available. Support via F&S. We will provide croos-toolchain, NBoot, U-Boot, Kernel and a BuildRoot based root filesystem.

Your F&S Support Team

Da dies ein internationales Forum ist, bitten wir darum, Beiträge möglichst in Englisch zu verfassen.

• Surprise, surprise ...

We've ordered the NetDCU10 Starter Kit for Linux (NETDCU10-SKIT-LIN) but the distributor responded that he is unable to deliver the kit in combination with the Emlix BSP. Is this a problem of this specific distributor or is this a generic problem ?

Regards

Volker

• This is also surprising to us, but as I said, don't use the NetDCU10 for new designs. BTW we can provide first samples of the NetDCU14 rather soon. It will be the NetDCU14-512DAN2C2V-LIN (Premium). See NetDCU14 Product Flyer.

• OK, placed an order via your sales departement for the "NetDCU14-512DAN2C2V-LIN".

Another question raised from one of my colleagues was about pin compatibility between NetDCU10 and NetDCU14. This is no question specific for the Linux part of this forum but currently there is no specific area for NetDCU14 ...

On the web page about the NetDCU14 I have found the following statement about the NetDCU14 equipped with the RGB variant of the display interface : "In der pinkompatiblen Version (zu NetDCU9/ 10/ 11) ..." ("The pin compatible Version (compared to NetDCU9/ 10/ 11) ...") . What exactly does this mean in respect to both boards ? Only pins which may have been marked as 'spare' on the NetDCU10 board are potentially selected for additional ports / functionality like the second LAN interface on the NetDCU14 ?

I tried to compare the pin layout I have found in the product flyers for the NetDCU10 and NetDCU14 but I was unable to achieve a full match (mainly because of differences in block J1, J2, J3) ...

Regards

Volker

• The additional ethernet pins are between J1 and J2 of the NetDCU8/10 so they is only one 26pin connetor J1 instead of J1 and J2 on NetDCU8/10.
    The display connector is like NetDCU9 with a 48pin connector with signals for 24bit TFT interface and analog VGA instead of the 34pin on the NetDCU8/10.
    The NetDCU14 has USB2.0 High Speed, so the USB lines on the baseboard must follow the High Speed USB Platform Design Guidelines