Setting COM2 RTS

• Hello,

"RTS" feature is included in kernel revisons >= V1.3 (1.03).

The driver supports RTS_CONTROL_TOGGLE. This function and the RTS pin can be used for RS485 interface.
    The driver supports RTS_CONTROL_HANDSHAKE. This function and the RTS/CTS pins can be used for RS232 interface with RTS/CTS lines.
    No additional registry setting required for enable control lines.

How do you toggle? The HW toggles autonomous when you write to the port and "enabe RTS" by SW.

F&S Elektronik Systeme GmbH
    As this is an international forum, please try to post in English.
    Da dies ein internationales Forum ist, bitten wir darum, Beiträge möglichst in Englisch zu verfassen.

• Hello,

Code
    1. I toggle, as mentioned in my post, the RTS line with SerialPort.RtsEnable

I think "SerialPort.RtsEnable" does not toggle. It just de-/activates the toggle function. When you write data and "RtsEnable" is true the RTS line will change level while writing.

My board is a PicoComA5 and the kernel is 0.08 (10 sep 2013).

So please update to kernel V1.3 or higher.

Da dies ein internationales Forum ist, bitten wir darum, Beiträge möglichst in Englisch zu verfassen.

• I have downloaded the latest kernel, CE6Core_131115 but when I send that to the PicoCom, I get to "Jumping to kernel ..." and then nothing happens. A reboot produces a white screen. So I transfer the 130910 kernel instead and everything works. So it seems that the latest kernel isn't working properly on the PicoComA5 ...

• Hello,

it is recommendable to update bootloaders too.

You can do this in one step by using and select a NBI file (NetDCUUSBLoader), sample my.nbi:

Code
    1. author = "myname"
    2. customer="PCOMA5-V2-WCE"
    3. [Files]
    4. EBoot=<path>\EBOOTVYB_06.nb0
    5. StepStone=<path>\nbootvyb_05.bin
    6. Kernel=<path>\NKVYB_CE6Core_131204.bin

• Hello,

As far as I know, NetDCUUSBLoader cannot be used with the PicoComA5

Right, but this was only true for the very first stage of this product. Since EBoot03 (Oktober 2013) you can update via USB (refer changelog).
    So please update EBoot first via serial line (use command "d" in NBoot and select the binay file via DCUTerm (menu->file->transmit binary ...)).

• OK, so I have upgraded EBoot and DU now seems to work. But when I run NetDCUUSBLoader, the USB LED never turns green so still can't download kernel that way. When rebooting the PicoCom with S pressed, going into EBoot, the USB connection sound isn't heard.

Downloaded the very latest, 131204, kernel but still hangs on 'Jumping to Kernel' so upgrading the EBoot didn't help any.

I really don't understand why this has to be so difficult every time ...

• I have now downloaded EBOOTVYB_06 twice, once serial and once over USB (USB is active when the NBoot loader is active) but although the download seems to work, DU still doesn't work and, I see now, gives the same error message. Somehow, the EBOOT loader isn't replaced.

Part of the problem is that the EBoot loader gives no version info or anything on startup so it's hard to know whether an upgrade has worked.

So, in the mean time, I'm back to kernel 130910 and no RTS support and quite unhappy with F&S.

• Hello,

I really don't understand why this has to be so difficult every time ...

I am too.

Downloaded the very latest, 131204, kernel but still hangs on 'Jumping to Kernel' so upgrading the EBoot didn't help any.

Right, you have to update EBoot and NBoot! I thought you can do this with updated EBoot via USB. I did this some times without problems. Check your driver for NetDCUUSBLoader in the device manager (should be called fsboarddriver or similar).
    There is also an option to update NBoot from NBoot (using command "D"). But be careful, if this not successed you have to send the board as RMA!

• But NBoot is latest version already, it says "VN05 built 12 Sep 2013" when I boot and the file on your website, nbootvyb_05.zip, contains 12-9-13 files with postfix _05, so same version.

The zip file contains two files, nbootvyb_05.bin and nbootvyb115_05.bin, and nothing to tell the user which one to use or what the differences are. In fact, I don't know which one I'm using. So which one should I use?

• Sorry,

*115* is for baudrate 115kB, please use the other one.

• Well, it doesn't matter what I do, any kernel other than 130910 hangs on 'Jumping to kernel'.
    And DU still doesn't work because USB not enabled when booting to EBoot.

It seems to me that the downloading of neither NBoot nor EBoot works. The download itself works but after reboot nothing seems to have changed. And why is there no version info in the Eboot interface?

• What base board do you use for the download? Is it the our startinterface?
    If you designed the base board then is it USB2.0 compatible?
    Does USB device work (device recognized by Windows)?
    Is VBUS from the USB device connector connected to the PicoCOM?

• Hello,

And why is there no version info in the Eboot interface?

Enabel debug Output then you see this info:

Did you checked sugestions from fs-support_DB obove?

• Then check the driver used for USB after enter "DU" in the device manger. It should called "fsboard...". Is your NetDCUUSBLoader up-to-date?

• One step further, entering 'du' in the Eboot loader caused device to be installed for FSBoardUSB. After that NetDCU USBloader showed a green light for USB connection so I started kernel download (131204 kernel) but that didn't go well

:> du
    Waiting for USB download
    Connected at high-speed
    Connected at high-speed

Download file information:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [0]: Address=0x80100000 Length=0x224ED70 Name=C:\Users\dag\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\MicroClimer\Docs\NKVYB_CE6Core_131204.bin
    INFO: Changed start address for C:\Users\dag\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\MicroClimer\Docs\NKVYB_CE6Core_131204.bin to 0x80100000.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ##############################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################1 files tranfered
    INFO: Write image at 0x80100000 size 0x0224ed70 to NAND Flash
    Create partition for boot section ...
    Success
    Create partition for kernel section ...
    Success
    Create partition for FFSDISK section ...
    Success
    WriteRegionsToNandFlash
    Writing single region/multi-region update, dwBINFSPartLength: 35974512
    INFO: BP_OpenPartition: dwBINFSPartLength =0x224ED70).
    dwRegionStart=0x80100000).
    dwRegionLength=0x224ED70).
    INFO: BP_SetDataPointer: Set data pointer in BINFS partition (offset=0x0).
    INFO: WriteRegionsToNandFlash: Write region to BINFS partition (start=0x80100000, length=0x224ED70).
    ReadBlock: failed to read sector (0x580).
    WriteData: failed to read block (0x16).
    ERROR: WriteRegionsToNandFlash: Failed to write region to BINFS partition (start=0x80100000, length=0x224ED70).
    AUTO-BOOT enabled

ERROR: Flash write failed
    HALT Reason=0xFFFFFFF4
    ERROR: FlashWrite failed
    ERROR !!!!
    Disable AUTO BOOT
    ReadBlock: failed to read sector (0x500).
    WriteData: failed to read block (0x14).
    ERROR: WriteEbootConfig: Flash write failed.
    Reboot system and correct bootloader settings
    SpinForever...

Here are the bootlaoder settings, don't see that anything is wrong with them

PicoCOMA5 boot options valid : YES
    Start Download after reboot : no
    Download kernel to : FLASH
    Kernel load/store compression : OFF
    Size of area for OS image : 64 MB
    Size of FFSDISK : 64 MB
    Format of FFSDISK : FAT
    F3S serial number :
    Launch image after reboot : yes
    Output debug messages at serial port : no
    Bootloader Network setting valid : YES
    -MAC Address : 0:5:51:7:4D:22
    -Use DHCP to get IP address: YES
    WindowsCE MAC address valid : yes
    -WindowsCE MAC Address : 0:5:51:7:4D:22

• Which Versions of N- and EBoot you use???
    It is required to use the latest Versions!!!
    Update bootloaders first, then kernel (or do the whole update twice, while the first update old loaders still active)