Automatic date and time synchronization on PicoCOMA9X WEC2013 via Ethernet

• Hi team,

how do you automatically synchronize the time and date on PicoCOMA9X WEC2013 (connecting via ethernet to the local network)?

On our board there is the battery to keep the time.

I set the value of "Time Zones\Default" to "W. Europe Standard Time" through registers. "AutoAdjust" is activated.

But the date and time do not synchronize, even though I am connected via ethernet to my local network (it stays on Jan 1st 2006, 12:00 AM).

The strange fact is that I had another PicoCOMA9X in the past few days and it seems to me that as soon as I connected the ethernet the time had automatically synchronized to the connection.

I tried to follow the directions found on your forum to this Thread. (regarding "TimeSvc")

Below is the situation of the registers:

TIMESVC --> Default Values:

Time Zones:

Code
    1. [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Time Zones]
    2. "LastUpdateYear"=dword:000007e5
    3. "default"="W. Europe Standard Time"

We need to automate the date / time synchronization automatically. Can you tell us how to do it?

Thank you.

• Hello,

>> The strange fact is that I had another PicoCOMA9X in the past few days and it seems to me that as soon as I connected the ethernet the time had automatically synchronized to the connection.

<< Yes that right, it should work by default!

Can you try it again with default registry?

Can you set the time at all?

Here you will find a more detailed description of registry TIMESVC setting: Time SVC Registry.

F&S Elektronik Systeme GmbH
    As this is an international forum, please try to post in English.
    Da dies ein internationales Forum ist, bitten wir darum, Beiträge möglichst in Englisch zu verfassen.

• Thanks for the quick reply.

Maybe I understood the difference from the PicoCOM that worked:

On the old picocom (the one that synced) a fixed IP was set.

On today's one (not working) DHCP is enabled.

As soon as I assigned the fixed IP, the time synchronized.

Is it possible that our server blocks the synchronization from the outside?

The problem is that we MUST use DHCP, so that the time synchronizes on every connection, even outside in our local network.

Or is it possible that the default SNTP server on the picocom is not working?

In the link you gave me for Compact 2013, the link to the available servers no longer exists.

Have you done any tests on your devices in this regard? I don't know where to look.

Thank you.

• I took a new test,

i reset my picoCOM (the non-working one).

First I set up DHCP, connected the ethernet and it did NOT sync.

Disconnected ethernet, turned off and back on.

I set my Fixed IP, saved the logs, turned on again. Connecting Ethernet did NOT synchronize (it is still January 1st 2006, 00:00).

I have not yet understood at what moment the hypothetical synchronization occurs.

• I noticed that if I change the "default" entry in "\ Time zones" from the register, I set "W. Europe Standard Time" but if I open the control panel in the date / time screen, "Pacific time - US & Canada" remains set.

I also changed the "TZID" register to "\ time", with value 1340, the result doesn't change. It's normal?

PS. sorry for the many consecutive posts

• Last update,

I should have solved.

It seems that the default "\ timesvc \ Server" registry was wrong.

I tried to insert another one (ex. ntp1.inrim.it) and, once connected, the time synchronized (I tested it several times, resetting the picocom each time). On 4 tests, 4 immediate synchronizations, 100%.

The only thing I don't understand is how it managed to synchronize with the old "Server" before.

Probably tomorrow I will do other tests, and if I have to find out more I will let you know.

For the moment it is solved.

• Hello,

thanks for this information. Maybe "old" server was down for a while? I never changed the server but i often realized that the time was synchronized.

F&S Elektronik Systeme GmbH
    As this is an international forum, please try to post in English.
    Da dies ein internationales Forum ist, bitten wir darum, Beiträge möglichst in Englisch zu verfassen.