flash from zero PicoCore imx8mn ddr3

• Hi,

There is a guide to flash from zero imx8mn PicoCoreMX8MN?

I flash the uboot.fs coming from Yocto compilation using fsimage tool and I get the following issue:

I share with you some log before the issue maybe could be helpfull.

Code
    1. Welcome to minicom 2.7.1
    2. OPTIONS: I18n Compiled on Dec 23 2019, 02:06:26.Port /dev/ttyUSB0, 15:06:47
    3. Press CTRL-A Z for help on special keys
    4. U-Boot SPL 2018.03 (Oct 30 2021 - 18:21:46 +0200)Normal Boot
    5. U-Boot 2018.03 (Oct 30 2021 - 18:48:20 +0000) for F&S
    6. CPU: Freescale i.MX8MNano Quad rev1.0, 1500 MHz (running at 1200 MHz)CPU: Commercial temperature grade (0C to 95C)Reset: PORModel: PicoCoreMX8MN-DDR3LBoard: PicoCoreMX8MN-DDR3L Rev 1.20 (2x LAN, eMMC, 2x DRAM)DRAM: 512 MiBTCPC: Vendor ID [0x1fc9], Product ID [0x5110], Addr [I2C0 0x52]NAND: 0 MiBMMC: FSL_SDHC: 0, FSL_SDHC: 2Loading Environment from MMC... OKIn: serialOut: serialErr: serial BuildInfo: - ATF 29dcb44 - U-Boot 2018.03
    7. flash target is MMC:2Net: eth0: ethernet@30be0000Fastboot: NormalNormal BootHit any key to stop autoboot: 0 PicoCoreMX8MN-DDR3L

I need to factory reset the board. Let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Tommaso

• Hello,

in the attachments you can find the files necessary to recover the board.

- Get the board into serial download mode. This is achieved by powering up the board while holding the BOOTSEL button (the button next to RESET).

- Connect your Host-PC to the USB Device port of the board (either USB Mini A or USB Type C, depends on the Starterkit).

- Unpack the zip file and start MfgTool2.bat.

After this the UBoot should boot up again.

Your F&S Support Team

• Hi,

Thanks! Board now boot fine!

It is possible to have the same result from the Yocto compilation output?

I'm actually compile core-image-minimal using fsimx8mn machine.

I have the following output:

I don't see the same binary files of recovery.zip shared folder? I'm missing something? Maybe renamed from Yocto recipes?

Let me know

Thanks in advance.

Tommaso

• Hello,

the SPL and NBoot are hardware specific and contain configurations, firmware files and dram timings to enable the board to boot. Usually those binaries are flashed one time and shouldn't change in development, so they don't get generated in the standard build.

The UBoot (uboot.fs) is the first bootloader that can be customized. For why the flashing of the uboot.fs image resulted in an error, I don't know. I'll try it too with the binaries generated from Yocto.

It should be enough to load the uboot.fs binary to RAM and call the command "fsimage save".

E.g.:

Code
    1. tftp uboot.fs
    2. fsimage save

Your F&S Support Team

• Hi,

Thanks for your clarifications, unfortunately I follow your steps but I get the following issue again:

Can be possible to have the missing binary files that nboot needs?

Code
    1. # List of files to add to NBOOT image
    2. NBOOT_FILES = $(BOARD)_spl.fs $(BOARD)_board_configs.fs \
    3. $(BOARD)_firmware.fs $(BOARD)_extra.fs
    4. -> fsimx8mn_firmware.fs
    5. -> fsimx8mn_extra.fs

Or the imx-mkimage folder for lpddr3 that you use in your bootloader (imx-boot-tools)?

Thanks in advance,

Tommaso

• Hello,

I tried building the uboot.fs image again from Yocto and it successfully booted. Did you build the release fsimx8mn-Y2021.10 without any changes to the UBoot and Yocto first?

Could you check the setup for Yocto?

Code
    1. ./setup-yocto /destination/dir
    2. cd /destination/dir/yocto-3.0-fus
    3. ./yocto-download
    4. DISTRO=fus-imx-wayland MACHINE=fsimx8mn source fus-setup-release.sh -b build-fsimx8mn-wayland
    5. bitbake core-image-minimal

Your F&S Support Team

• Hi,

Using wayland distros I'm able to boot the board:

Thanks for the support,

Tommaso