WindowsCE Kernel does not bootup automatically

• I have justed received my PicoCOM1 Development kit and have downloaded as instructed all drivers and tools as suggested following the 'First Steps' guide. I have managed to load NBOOT followed by EBOOT and now I am trying to load the Windows Kernel but I am failing miserably, could anyone help? I have attached a screen dump of my COM3 session using the DCUTerminal with added comments.

****POWER UP with shift+S to load Windows CE Kernel***

***POWER CYCLED*****

******NO LUCK*********

*****try loading file again*

****What do I do after this ?************

• It looks like the image you are downloading is not beeing stored in flash memory. For that reason the bootloader will be entered automatically.
    You can enable this option with the command 'mf' (Store kernel on flash disk).

regards
    Martin Kiepfer

Software developer, F&S Elektronik Systeme GmbH
    As this is an international forum, please try to post in English.
    Da dies ein internationales Forum ist, bitten wir darum, Beiträge möglichst in Englisch zu verfassen.

• Hi

I have carried out the following:

What's your thought?

ERROR: WriteRegionsToNandFlash: BINFS partition is to small.

I suppose this would be the reason for this problem. Please try to repartition the flash (command 'P') and make sure that the kernel partition is big enough (rounded up) to hold the kernel you are going to download.

regards
    Martin Kiepfer

Da dies ein internationales Forum ist, bitten wir darum, Beiträge möglichst in Englisch zu verfassen.

• Hi Martin,

I have setup the partioning and have made progress but I think the problem may be with PICOCOM1 not seeing the Flash Memory as when you power cycle after the download it does not see the flash memory, any thoughts?

****POWER CYCLED****

Regards,

Mohabbat

• I agree with you. There still seems to be a problem with the flash memory. When partitioning, did you wait for the bootloader to be back again? The bootloader command prompt ":>" should be displayed again.
    I would seggest beginning from scratch by reformat the flash completly with the command 'E'. This also includes a BAD block check. Please wait until this process has finished which could take a view minutes.

regards
    Martin Kiepfer

• Thanks Martin,

I have the following message after a full format:

Is that correct?

Regards,

Mohabbat

• Mhh this really is getting strange.

FMD_SetBlockStatus : SetBlockStatus failed (17)

This messages is not a problem as there are some blocks at the beginning of the flash memory reserved at low level.

But the following message still inditactes a problem. This only could appear if the partitions settings are invalid. Which partition setup are you wanting to create?

ERROR: Can't create partition (type=0x5, size=0xFFFFFFFF)

Additionatly it looks like you are ran into a sort of incompatible bootloader version combination as the selftest has been started automatically. When updating to EBoot version 1.3 the NBoot must be updated, too (see History.txt).

As there a lot of wrong settings perhaps it would be a good idea to reset the bootloader configuration 'C' and execute the flash completly again ('E').