Openembedded

• Not OpenEmbedded, but our Linux system for the new PicoMOD6 is currently based on Buildroot, which also uses standard packages together with additional meta information (provided by buildroot and/or F&S) of how to configure and cross compile these packages for embedded use. What makes Buildroot easy to use is the package selection and configuration that is done by a menu system similar to make menuconfig of the Linux kernel itself. Therefore you, our customers, will feel immediately at home when using Buildroot.This is all rather flexible and avoids having to maintain own versions of all packages as Buildroot will already provide updated versions several times a year which will bump all the supported packages to their newest releases.

Currently we are defining the scope what we will provide, and therefore the environment is still in flux, but we are planning to use such a system for all the new boards from now on. Maybe we will give OpenEmbedded another look, but for now we are using Buildroot.

However the already existing Linux-Boards maintained by emlix use their own packaging environment and we are currently not planning to switch them over to Buildroot.

F&S Elektronik Systeme GmbH
    As this is an international forum, please try to post in English.
    Da dies ein internationales Forum ist, bitten wir darum, Beiträge möglichst in Englisch zu verfassen.

• Thanks for the quick reply.
    We have used Buildroot in the past too and it is perfectly adequate for our needs.
    I agree the menu driven package selection is actually easier than openembedded, and I would happily use either system.
    We were looking at the PicoMOD3 though since the PicoMOD6 is a little more than we need, but would like to stick with buildroot / oe if possible.

• I think the decision for you is rather simple: there will be no Linux for the PicoMOD3 available in the near future. And as the PicoMOD6 is in the same price region and Linux will be available soon, I would say this is the board of your choice.

Da dies ein internationales Forum ist, bitten wir darum, Beiträge möglichst in Englisch zu verfassen.

• Thanks. I will look into the PicoMOD6.
    Will we be able to download the PicoMOD6 buildroot for free, or will there be a charge for it ?
    Do you have any idea when we will get more information as to how this is going to work and when it will be made available ?

• A pre-release version of the Linux environment for the PicoMOD6 is already available. If you order now, a PicoMOD6/Linux Starterkit should be available within the next two weeks (approx.). With the Starterkit you'll also get the password information to access the download region of our server.

The idea is to directly support two or three Buildroot images/configurations directly (e.g. a standard image, a small image with minimal functionality, and a large image with quite a lot of functionality). These images are tested and should always work. Other configurations have to be done either by yourself, or for a small administration fee you can give us the specifications and we'll do it for you.