Which drivers can be disabled if Ethernet is not required?

• Hello,

in my PicoCOM2 application there is no Ethernet port installed. Which driver(s) are not required in this case and can be disabled?
    What about the data at [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\Devices\TCPIP] ? Can I disable these devices?
    In general, I would like to disable all drivers that are not required because available memory is rather limited.
    Is it the preferred method to disable a driver to set "Flags"=4 ?
    Further I want to disable the CAN bus. Is it correct to create a DWORD value "Flags" at
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\BuiltIn\CAN1]
    and set it to 4 ?

Thank you in advance

André Lehmann

• The Ethernet driver of PicoCOM will be loaded by the WindowsCE NDIS driver. Disabling this driver will also disable the ethernet driver.
    [HKLM\Drivers\Builtin\NDIS]
    Flags=dword:4

Software developer, F&S Elektronik Systeme GmbH
    As this is an international forum, please try to post in English.
    Da dies ein internationales Forum ist, bitten wir darum, Beiträge möglichst in Englisch zu verfassen.

• Disabling the NDIS driver appears to prevent an ActiveSync connection which is not what I want.
    Which drivers dependent on NDIS are required for an Ethernet connection and can be disabled in my case?

Can you recommend guidelines to save system and memory resources by disabling items that are not required?

How can I find out about dependencies of drivers? In the case of desktop Windows I use DependencyWalker - is there a similar tool for Windows CE drivers? It seems that ndis.dll is part of some sort of package, I cannot find a file with this name in the \Windows folder.

Let me add a different question:
    Ref.: PicoCOM2, Device Driver Documentation, Version 1.06, 2.1.1 Configuration Example
    I don't understand one aspect of the example: To configure a pin for Input usage the corresponding bit in the DataDir value must be cleared. To configure IO-Pin 12 (PicoCOM Pin 32) as Input with a
    rising edge interrupt trigger I would set DataDir = 00,00,00,00,00,00 while the table below states 00,10,00,00,00,00. Am I mistaken or the table?

Regards

André Lehmann