Nboot writes Uboot to Kernel partition

• It seems that Nboot stores Uboot in the Kernel partition and expects it to be there.

I had some odd behavior when updating the Kernel from Uboot so i did a little testing:

Erase the Uboot partition and everything is fine:

Erase the Kernel partition and Uboot is missing:

As far as i can tell something is a little mixed up here or am i missing something?

A fast solution would probably be to cerate an additional partition for the Kernel.

Best regards
    Alex

• Just to give a little update here:

Obviously i had missed something. After reading the documentation again and again, i noticed it says VN01 for the NBoot version and mine is VN04. It seems the default partitioning in UBoot does not match with the VN04 NBoot configuration. Changing the partitioning had solved everything just fine.

Just wondering why those changes were made - it might be handy for my upcoming configuration.

• Sorry for not answering earlier, but I was on vacation and today is my first day back.

Yes, the default flash layout has been changed. First we concentrated on the Cortex-A5 to get the main OS (Linux, WinCE) running. This was the state of pre-release V0.1 (with NBoot VN01). Later when we looked at the Cortex-M4, too, we noticed that we want to keep some space for a Cortex-M4 program that can directly be started from NBoot to have it up and running as quick as possible, before any OS is started. To keep it the same for WinCE and Linux, we want to store it directly behind NBoot itself. So U-Boot and all remaining partitions had to be moved to higher addresses. Unfortunately this required a visible change in NBoot, too (now VN04). So if you use the new NBoot together with the old U-Boot/Kernel from release V0.1, this will conflict. The version installed on the boards from the workshop in Leonberg already had the new layout, so there the new NBoot was already installed and also a newer U-Boot/Kernel/Rootfs than V0.1. But unfortunately we never put the sources of this workshop version of U-Boot/Kernel/Rootfs anywhere on our server, as we thought we'd manage the regular release earlier. But due to a necessary redesign of the PicoCOMA5, this took a little longer than expected. But there will be a regular fsvybrid release very soon, where U-Boot/Kernel and everything will match again correctly with the current NBoot. Sorry for the inconvenience.

This is the new default partition layout that we use in Linux right now.

Code
    1. 0x0000_0000 - 0x0001_FFFF: NBoot: NBoot image, primary copy (128KB)
    2. 0x0002_0000 - 0x0003_FFFF: NBoot: NBoot image, secondary copy (128KB)
    3. 0x0004_0000 - 0x000F_FFFF: Cortex-M4 image (768KB)
    4. 0x0010_0000 - 0x0017_FFFF: UBoot: U-Boot image (512KB)
    5. 0x0018_0000 - 0x001B_FFFF: UBootEnv: U-Boot environment (256KB)
    6. 0x001C_0000 - 0x003F_FFFF: UserDef: User defined data (2.25MB = 2304KB)
    7. 0x0040_0000 - 0x007F_FFFF: Kernel: Linux Kernel uImage (4MB)
    8. 0x0080_0000 - 0x07FF_FFFF: TargetFS: Root filesystem (120MB if 128MB)
    9. 0x0080_0000 - 0x3FFF_FFFF: TargetFS: Root filesystem (1016MB if 1GB)

Your F&S Support Team

F&S Elektronik Systeme GmbH
    As this is an international forum, please try to post in English.
    Da dies ein internationales Forum ist, bitten wir darum, Beiträge möglichst in Englisch zu verfassen.

• Just as a quick note: The V1.0 release with the new flash layout is on our server for quite a few days now. Does this solve your problems?

Your F&S Support Team

F&S Elektronik Systeme GmbH
    As this is an international forum, please try to post in English.
    Da dies ein internationales Forum ist, bitten wir darum, Beiträge möglichst in Englisch zu verfassen.