Requirements for an OS update of the card

• Hi all,

I've returned a card with a RMA a few weeks ago because I faced a problem with the firmware version of my card which was really old. It's been properly upgraded by you but in the process, you changed the OS and put it back to WinCE 6.0. I definitely need your most up to date OS for the NetDCUA5 for tests purpose. Here are my questions :

I've read about WinCE 2013, WinCE 7.0. What are the differences ? Which one will receive the longer support from your side ? Do you recommend one over the other for some reasons ?

I have only a NetDCUA5 card in my possession. What do I need (hardware and software) in order to make the OS update? I don't have time to make another RMA (the last one took 5-6 weeks ! and I cannot afford to lose
    that much time again)...

I guess I have to connect through USB to my card to update the OS. I only have COM and Ethernet connection on the device on which the card is plugged on. What is the fastest way to proceed ? Do I have to order a special USB cable or an adapter to connect on my card ?

Thanks for your reply.

• So far from my investigation :

• I've found a software called EShell on my FS Page.
    • I've found an image of the OS (in that case WinCE 2013) called XIPVYB_C8E_140414.bin. I guess that's the OS image I have to restore.
    • I've found a documentation called "FSVYBRID WInCE Update instructions.pdf" but it talks about NBoot and EBoot update, and I don't need that I guess, since my card has been properly updated by FS on that side.
    • I've found a documentation called "KernelUpdateUsingTheEShell_V100_eng.pdf" and I guess I should follow this one in order to update properly my OS, is it correct ?
    • I understood that I could update the card using EShell through Ethernet connection. Is that correct ?

Thank for your quick answer, I definitely need a WinCE 2013/7 card as soon as possible !

• Hello,

I've read about WinCE 2013, WinCE 7.0. What is the difference ? Which one will receive the longer support ?

To explain this may be an impossible task. For details please refer http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-u…13(v=winembedded.70).aspx. We support WCE6, WEC7 and WEC2013 for the life time of the A5 boards. WEC2013 is latest OS for WEC so supoort from MS may be the best and longest for this product.

What do I need (hardware and software) in order to make the OS update?

Update of OS is very easy! You can use EShell or CE Downloader for an update via Ethernet. For an update via USB use the NetDCUUSBLoader and USB Device Connection (check before if you can connect to the loader from EBoot, else order an SKIT).
    The update is triggered by enter bootloader command "DE" (Ethernet) or "DU" (USB Device).
    Refer also http://www.fs-net.de/assets/do…tDCU14_FirstSteps_eng.pdf

F&S Elektronik Systeme GmbH
    As this is an international forum, please try to post in English.
    Da dies ein internationales Forum ist, bitten wir darum, Beiträge möglichst in Englisch zu verfassen.

• Hello,

... Do I have to enter the bootloader sideway with a COM port connection and press "DE" ?

Yes, after enter DE in the bootlaoder your device will be recognized. Then select the image ... .

Do I risk doing something wrong by simply continuing that

In general not! But if you have no experience with bootloder, kernel and utilities it is recommended to visit a Workshop.

Nevertheless, i will try to support you here if someting unexpectet will happen.

Da dies ein internationales Forum ist, bitten wir darum, Beiträge möglichst in Englisch zu verfassen.

• Hello,

Yes, after enter DE in the bootlaoder your device will be recognized. Then select the image ... .

The device has already been recognized in the first window (Select Device in my previous post). Isn't it enough ?

My problem now is that, when my card is plugged on my device, I'm connected to COM2 and not COM1. If I understand well, COM1 is the port where the bootloader can be accessed.

So, when using DCUTerm, I can access the registry but I don't know how to access the bootloader from here...

• Hello,

The device has already been recognized in the first window (Select Device in my previous post). Isn't it sufficient ?

No, this is not "our" device - i assume. After enter "DE" im the bootloader a new deivice will be added, select this one.

My problem now is that, when my card is plugged on my device, I'm connected to COM2 and not COM1. If I understand well, COM1 is the port where the bootloader can be accessed.

Which pins you are talkig about?

So, when using DCUTerm, I can access the registry but I don't know how to access the bootloader from here...

On A5 boards "ndcucfg" and "debug port" located on COM1: by default. Enter <shift +s> into the termnal while power on the device for step into the bootloader.

• No, this is not "our" device - i assume. After enter "DE" im the bootloader a new deivice will be added, select this one.

You're right, it's not the card, it's indeed my device. When talking about device, I mean our device on which I plug my NetDCU. It provides me with an interface to a COM port and a Ethernet port. That's it.

On A5 boards "ndcucfg" and "debug port" located on COM1: by default. Enter <shift +s> into the termnal while power on the device for step into the bootloader.

Yes, I've faced this trouble because, on my device, we've linked our COM port to your COM2: port. I had to switch in the registry to have be able to use the COM port on my device.

I assume my last option is to use one StarterKit. I've just found a really old starter kit (that we had from our very first NetDCU8 I guess)... Is it worth the try ?

You're right, it's not the card, it's indeed my device. When talking about device, I mean ...

I don't talk about the HW. When you can access the right interfaces the base board should not play an important rule. I talk about the devices in the EShell's list!

I assume my last option is to use one StarterKit. I've just found a really old starter kit (that we had from our very first NetDCU8 I guess)... Is it worth the try ?

For connect COM1: you need only to solder three lines, SKIT for NetDCU8 may work - when USB Device is not needed.

But what is about a Workshop:-)
    Maybe we waste here a lot of time.

• But what is about a Workshop:-)
    Maybe we waste here a lot of time.

Sorry, let me just clarify one thing. I'm losing much time because two times in a row FS-Net provided us with a card that is badly configured.

• Wrong Boot Firmware (very old version).
    • Return with RMA, the overall process took roundly 6 weeks.
    • The card returned with correct boot firmware but OS replaced with a wrong one (6.0 instead of 2013 or 7.0).
    • We're receiving not a lot of efficient support, neither from our reseller, neither from FS-Net which gives us support only through this forum.
    • I'm spending much time to understand how everything work and try and find solution to make your card work and you're proposing me to pay for a Workshop we never ever needed in 6-7 years of use of your last NetDCU8 (already bought at least 150 cards). I hardly think that's a fair deal for us to pay for a Workshop only to fix Fs-Net mistakes.

I hope my message is well heard.

• Ok, I plugged my NetDCU on my SKit and I've plugged in my COM cable.

I decided to use DCUTerm as a terminal and I was able to connect. I'm in the registry here, i'm able to type in command such as help, reg open, etc... If I understand well, this is called the NDCUCFG port and I need the serial debug port to enter EBoot and press the SHIFT+S that will allow me to enter the "DE" command, right ?

As a reminder my configuration is :
    \: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\NDCUCFG
    00 "Port"=string:COM2: \

• Sorry, but i disagree in some points.

The article you send as RMA was "NDCUA5-V2-WCE" which is delivered with WCE6 by default!!! We send it back with latest WCE6 OS. So erverything is correct- we checked this in detail. In general we do not update an OS by RMA!!! This is so easy that a customer can do this by himself.

We will do everything to support you. But when you have less experience in WCE and utilities a Workshop is a good thing and not really expensive. And i assume you will save time in further development tasks.

But we should not discuss such things, to download the image via Ethernet should be our aim. With "COM1:" (NetDCU8 SKIT or solder RX/Tx/GND) and EShell this should work well.

Edited once, last by fs-support_ZU ().

• Then, the card was wrong from the start, because we especially ordered two cards, one with WinCE 6.0 and the other with WinCE 7.0. Since the first one is working with WinCE 6.0, if you tell me you never changed the OS, then you never sent us a card with WinCE 7.0. My end-customer result is, I don't have a card with WinCE 7.0 when I shoud have.

Anyway, I'm progressing, I switched the following entry within the registry :
    \: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\NDCUCFG
    00 "Port"=string:COM1: \

I had to change my COM cable from the previous COM port on my StarterKit and put it on another. When trying to do SHIFT+ S in DCUTerm, I get this :
    [IMG:http://oi61.tinypic.com/15wkq6x.jpg]

When using HyperTerminal, I get this :

[IMG:http://oi57.tinypic.com/1e7uc9.jpg]

Since it smells good that way, I'll stick with HyperTerminal. So after this, I get to follow chapter 9.7.1 of your document right ? Except I need to use DE instead of DU ?

When DE done, I can launch EShell and select my image and go like that ?

I get to follow chapter 9.7.1 of your document right ? Except I need to use DE instead of DU ? When DE done, I can launch EShell and select my image and go like that ?

9.7.1 discribes download via NetDCUUSBLoader! Using Microsoft EShell:
    - Start EShell
    - Enter "DU" into Bootloader (Bootloader Network settings are suitable? Command "N")
    - Wait until the Device appaer in your EShell List Box
    - Select the device ...

• Ok, after many attempts, I guess I finally succeeded. (in your last message, it should state "DE" instead of "DU" I guess)

Here are the screenshots of my final attempt :

[IMG:http://oi57.tinypic.com/2qmhv7o.jpg]

[IMG:http://oi58.tinypic.com/dcfn8m.jpg]

[IMG:http://oi57.tinypic.com/wvpr2g.jpg]

When connecting in Telnet, I receive now a Pocket Cmd 8.0. It seems to have work, do you see something wrong in the steps I followed ?

[IMG:http://oi61.tinypic.com/5xl8i1.jpg]

It's indeed not difficult when you know how to do... That being said, I faced lots of problem while having to hit "SHIFT+S". 19 times out of 20, it just wouldn't work, I couldn't enter EBoot configuration. When I try to enter NBoot configuration, pressing "s", it works 100% of the time. I don't understand why it does not work properly when pressing "SHIFT + S". I suspect my docking station or something around my usb keyboard... I've already faced that problem with other cards, with different ways to connect to them...

I guess it has to be my computer, but I don't know what it could be... Any idea ?

Note : Using CerDisp and CerHost, I remotely connected myself and checked... I'm indeed into WinCE 2013. That seems to have worked properly. If you have an idea on the trouble I'm facing (described right above), let me know how I could correct this...
    Thank you for your help.

• If <shift+s> while power on not works, i assume a timing problem:
    a) update to latest bootloaders (N-,EBoot)
    b) enable debug port by default (ndcucfg enter "serial debug on" or bootloader command "O" ... .)
    c) don*'t use usb2serial adapters.

• All right,
    a) It should be the latest, it's a card that came back from you last week.
    b) I'm indeed working with disabled debug port
    c) I stopped using those adapters, I had too much troubles with random devices. Now I'm only passing through a DELL Docking station. I've faced the problem while being connected directly on the COM port on another machine.

I'll give it a try with an enabled debug port and check the version of my N and EBoot, just to be sure. Thank you