PicoCOM4 -> PicoCOM4.2 Ethernet problem

• During the transistion from PicoCOM4 to PicoCOM4.2 we noticed that the Ethernet connection no longer worked in our application. We have seen that there is a second network adapter named 'WWAN1' in PicoCOM4.2. We now have the assumption that our application is accessing this network adapter instead of 'ETHNETA1'. What do we have to set in the registry in order to have only one network adapter like with the PicoCOM4?

What we have tried so far without success:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\comm\wwan1\parms\tcpip

"DontAddDefaultGateway"=dword:1

"Flags"=dword:4

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\drivers\builtin\wwn

After this setting, the icon in the windows task bar has disappeared, but our application still does not work.

• Hello,

which kernel (and bootloaders) you are using? For PicoCOM4.2 use only the lastest one.

Where do you see 'WWAN1'? I did not see this adapter in default Registry (kernel V117 from 210216)!

F&S Elektronik Systeme GmbH
    As this is an international forum, please try to post in English.
    Da dies ein internationales Forum ist, bitten wir darum, Beiträge möglichst in Englisch zu verfassen.

• Kernel: XIPNKPC4_CORE_CF35_V117_210216.bin

Bootload: eboot_pc4_112.nb0 (we didn't change the bootloader that was already on it)

removes this "Disabled Network" - Icon

Our application is writen in VB.NET, VS2005

The program stops at this command:

wsClient = New System.Net.Sockets.TcpClient(HostIP, Port)

No timeout, no error message.

• Hello,

ok so the SW should be ok.

Which adapters do you see under command shell (cmd.exe) using command "ipconfig"?

If you see ETHNETA1, you can connect e.g. via telnet.

The only changes between PicoCOM4 and PicoCOM4.2 are refered to Flash memory HW.

Da dies ein internationales Forum ist, bitten wir darum, Beiträge möglichst in Englisch zu verfassen.

• I can see ETHNETA1 as the only available Ethernet adapter with "ipconfig" and the connection with telnet works. So that is not the problem why our software doesn't work anymore.

So far we have used the PicoCOM4 with Kernel V1.11. I have now found out that our software does not run on the PicoCOM4 with Kernel V1.17 either.

Can we use Kernel V1.11 on PicoCOM4.2?

• Hello,

>> Can we use Kernel V1.11 on PicoCOM4.2?

<< No this is not possible. We have to find out the root of the problem. Can you debug your app to get more details.

Assume we can resolve the problems by modifing app (or kernel).

• Ok, it also works with PicoCOM4 and Kernel V1.16.

But these registry keys are not available there either:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\comm\wwan1

And there is no Icon in Windows task bar for 'WWAN1', maybe it has something to do with that after all.

Can we use Kernel V1.16 on PicoCOM4.2?

• I have already debugged our app, the program stops at this command, if the host IP is available:

There is no timeout or error message from Visual Studio. It just stops there and doesn't do anything anymore, I've never seen anything like that before.

If HostIP is not available, then it goes to the catch:

Try

' Start an asynchronous read invoking DoRead to avoid lagging the user interface.

wsClient.GetStream.BeginRead(ReadBuffer, 0, READ_BUFFER_SIZE, AddressOf wsClient_DataArrival, Nothing)

wsClient_onConnect()

Catch Ex As Exception

txtDisplay.Text = "Error: " & Err.Description

End Try

• Hello,

we have to do some tests to step further.

>> I have now found out that our software does not run on the PicoCOM4 with Kernel V1.17 either

<< Assume the only thing which may cause this was the update of Windows Embedded Compact (in V1.17). Can you do the same test with XIPNKPC4_CORE_CF35_V117_160906_BETA on PicoCOM4. This should not include the WEC updates.

PS: try to replace the HostIP by System.Net.IPAddress.Parse(HostIP).

• XIPNKPC4_CORE_CF35_V117_160906_BETA on PicoCOM4 works with or without your recommended change (replace the HostIP by System.Net.IPAddress.Parse(HostIP)).

XIPNKPC4_CORE_CF35_V117_210216 on PicoCOM4 still doesn't work, also with your recommended change.

Can you create a kernel from "XIPNKPC4_CORE_CF35_V117_160906_BETA" for the PicoCOM4.2 for us?

• Hello,

I will (try) to provide you a "XIPNKPC4_CORE_CF35_V117_XXXXXX" with the previous version of .NET DLLs. Also I will check if there are a newer vesion available or if the problem is known. But WCE6 is EOL so I think we have to switch to older libraries.

This may take about fives days.

• Hello,

I put you a kernel into PicoCOM4 download (folder "test").

Please chekc if it works with your app (it is V1.11 based only Flashdriver for new Flash was added).

Hope this helps.

• Hi

Thank you for your help. This is working very well.

But now i have the next problem, we have an application in which we use the F&S boot screen. My attempt to load the file 'PSD140708.bin' together with the current bootloader (V1.12) and NBoot (430 LB) did not work (spin forever). Is there a way to load these boot screen or do we have to order a new one?

• Hello,

>> But now i have the next problem, we have an application in which we use the F&S boot screen. My attempt to load the file 'PSD140708.bin' together with the current bootloader (V1.12) and NBoot (430 LB) did not work (spin forever)

<< We have to create a new PSD (because here the partition size is stored in blocks not in MB).

- Use the card with the already installed old PSD (display is ajusted here)

- Step into the EBoot

- Set new partition settings, using command "P": e.g. 24MB for OS rest for ffsdisk, wait for success ...

- Download kernel again

- Now you can create new PSD using NDCUCfg command: "PSD read <filename>.bin".

Hope this helps.