ARMstoneA9r2 + WEC7 date/time saving malfunction

• Hello,

we realice that with our ARMstoneA9r2 and latest kernel WCE7 v3.20 date and time saving is not working properly when an external CR2032 battery is attached.

This is the behaviour observed, when we changed and then power-off CPU:

a - Date (Year/Moth/date), its works using windows clock panel from windows bar directly and buttons Apply / OK.

b - Time zone, its working only when we go to control panel and F&S Config utility and then "save" button, or ndcucfg and reg save command (not from windows clock panel directly)

c - Hour, never works .. always after power-off / on CPU, the hour of the system is not mainteined.

Can you verify this ??

• Hello,

a,b) the external battery buffers only the "sytem time" in the RTC. The time zone/DST options (local time) have to be saved in Registry. This is correct!

c) I am not sure if I understood. The hour does change after each reboot?

Can you please test with kernel V3.5. I just put it into the download.

F&S Elektronik Systeme GmbH
    As this is an international forum, please try to post in English.
    Da dies ein internationales Forum ist, bitten wir darum, Beiträge möglichst in Englisch zu verfassen.

• Hello,

understood, "system time" is buffered by battery and time zone/DST in the WinCE register.

After updating to kernel v3.5 ... same behavoiur than v3.2:

1) Time zone: why is not saved to register using WinCE Date/Time panel and only using "reg save" command?

2) System time: Only Year/Moth/Day and "Hour" seems to work ok after power-off/on with battery connected, but "minutes" and "seconds" are lost.

i.e set windows clock to 11.11.00 AM -> Shows 11.00.xx AM after restart.

This new kernel version is showed as: V3.05 Built Jan 25 2023 in FSBoadConfig utility instead of V3.50

Update: sometimes "hour" is also not backed-up correctly after restart

• Hello,

1) all setting you do via control panel (or ndcucfg) are stored in RAM. For store it into Flash you have to do a "reg save" (which wraps RegFlushKey()). That is valid for all our board and it was always like this all the time.

2) Ok, I will check. This is an unknown issue!

>> This new kernel version is showed as: V3.05 Built Jan 25 2023 in FSBoadConfig utility instead of V3.50

<< Thanks, this is a formating bug we try to remove it in the next version. Both are wrong it should be V3.5.

Da dies ein internationales Forum ist, bitten wir darum, Beiträge möglichst in Englisch zu verfassen.

• Hello,

I did two checks with kernel V3.5 and armStoneA9 HW rev. 1.20. One with default time zone one with time zone UTC+1. In both cases I cannot reproduce the issue.

I did following steps in both cases:

1. power on set date and time

2. power off for about 1min

3. power on, check date and time -> OK

4. power off for about 10min

5. power on, check date and time -> OK

When I remove the battery the debug line shows the follwing information:

WARNING: SNVS was reset.

RTC: VBAT is low or not available!

[OAL] MACB: Disabled

[OAL] RestartReason: IPP

Ths information is also available under HKLM\System\RTC\BatteryGood=dword:<zero=NOK or one=OK>

• Hello,

in my case always say HKLM\System\RTC\BatteryGood=1, even disconnecting battery .. is this right ??

On the other hand, disconnecting battery, board lost Year/Moth/Date to 2006 again... so battery is "doing something" but it does not work for clock ...

We have tried ArmStoneA9r2 HW rev 1.10 with WEC7 v3.5

and ArmStoneA9r2 HW rev 1.30 with WEC7 v3.20 and both with same result, even after a reboot command without disconnecting power, "minutes" field are lost and start "00" again.

• Hello,

>> in my case always say HKLM\System\RTC\BatteryGood=1, even disconnecting battery .. is this right ??

<< This value is only read while boot, so you have to reboot after remove Vbat.

>> ...power, "minutes" field are lost and start "00" again.

<< I am a bit helpless about the situation. I test it again and it works also there are not changes in HW refer to RTC. And i don't think RTC on two boards are demaged.

Does the issues persit if you connect only Ethernet and serial debug line? Maybe we have some side effects. You can get/set date and time via telnet -> command "date" and "time".

Can you send one board direct to my desk for investigation?