Aktueller Stand für Support von i.MX8ULP Produkten SolderCore8ULP und FS 8ULP OSM-SF

• Hallo,

Wir haben uns ein SolderCore8ULP + SolderCoreBBHD besorgt, um den i.MX8ULP als Basis für unser Projekt zu evaluieren.

Ziel ist es mithilfe von Yocto und des meta-fus Layers von F&S ein passendes Image zu erstellen.
    Die Yocto Image-Konfiguration ist bereits vorhanden von vorher evaluierten Boards.

Die Integration von meta-fus (fsimx8ulp branch) scheint im ersten Schritt zu funktionieren (Yocto build läuft aktuell).

Nun haben sich bei mir einige Fragen aufgetan:

• Wie weit ist der Yocto-Support für i.MX8ULP Produkte? fsimx8ulp Branch ist erst seit 17.01.2024 verfügbar.
    • meta-fus (fsimx8ulp) ist nur mit den Yocto-Versionen "langdale" und "mickledore" kompatibel
      Gibt es hier Pläne aktiv supportete Versionen zu unterstützen? langdale und mickledore werden nicht mehr aktiv gewartet.
    • Gibt es Dokumentationen, How-To's, Getting Started Guides etc. für das SolderCoreBBHD + SolderCore8ULP?
      Auf welcher seriellen Schnittstelle ist eine Konsole/Terminal verfügbar? SERIAL-A? SERIAL-B? SERIAL-C? Welche Baudrate? etc.
      Wie können neue Images, Bootloader, Kernel etc. auf das Board geschrieben werden?
    • Ist die Verwendung der bereitgestellten Entwicklungs-VMs (Fedora VM) notwendig oder gibt es auch Anleitungen zur Verwendung in z.B. einem eigenen Linux-System?
    • Wenn ich auf der "Mein F&S" Seite im "Freischalten von Downloads" Bereich die Seriennummern vom SolderCore8ULP oder SolderCoreBBHD eingebe, wird nichts gefunden und es erscheint ein roter Text "Bitte überprüfen Sie Ihre Eingabe.". Sind die Produkte zu neu und deshalb noch nicht hinterlegt?

Danke und LG
    Stefan

• Hallo WaSt ,

bezüglich Ihrer Fragen möchte ich hier nun Antworten. Damit auch andere Interessenten die Informationen nachlesen können, werde ich die antworten auf Englisch schreiben. Ich hoffe das ist für Sie in Ordnung.

• How far is the Yocto support for i.MX8ULP products? fsimx8ulp Branch is only available since 17.01.2024.

For the fsimx8ulp there is currently only a pre-release for the BSP, which contains the necessary changes to start and run the SolderCore. A full release with meta-fus for Yocto, as for other architectures, is not yet available, but is planned for future releases. Currently, only the SolderCore is supported.

The SolderCore itself is special. It is a development board that can be used to validate the processor's interfaces for the imx8ulp. For certain setups, it may require a special adjustment in the Linux device tree or in the root FS of the system, which was not considered in the release.

• meta-fus (fsimx8ulp) is only compatible with the Yocto versions "langdale" and "mickledore"
      Are there any plans to support actively supported versions here? langdale and mickledore are no longer actively maintained.

The release is based on the NXP release for imx processors. The required meta layer within meta-imx currently supports mackledore as the latest version. Meta-IMX contains recipes for deploying firmware and userspace applications designed for the processor's peripherals. Since the processor is new, the latest version of meta-imx from NXP is currently used.

Support for new Yocto releases will come, but it is not possible to say when at this time.

• Is there documentation, how-to's, getting started guides etc. for the SolderCoreBBHD + SolderCore8ULP?
      On which serial interface is a console/terminal available? SERIAL-A? SERIAL-B? SERIAL-C? Which baud rate? etc. How can new images, boot loaders, kernels etc. be written to the board?

All documentation is now available on our product page. If you have questions about building and installing images, I recommend FSiMX8ULP Linux First Steps.pdf. The jumper configuration for serial and USB is also described there. If you have questions about the hardware, there is more documentation available.

The baud rate is 115200.

• Is it necessary to use the provided development VMs (Fedora VM) or are there also instructions for use in e.g. your own Linux system?

Building with our F&S development machine Fedora 36 is recommended. A successful Yocto build has been tested on this machine. In principle, the distros recommended by Yocto should also work. However, we cannot guarantee this.

• When I enter the serial numbers of the SolderCore8ULP or SolderCoreBBHD on the "My F&S" page in the "Unlocking downloads" section, nothing is found and a red text "Please check your entry." appears. Are the products too new and therefore not yet stored?

The download area will be available soon. Probably today, during the day.

I hope I was able to answer your questions, if you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards