Power fail detection

• Hello all,

My application is running under WinCE and NetDCU8.
    I would like to save my application current status from RAM into Flash when power failed.
    How can I detect power fail?
    After detecting "power fail" how much time I have to save my application status?
    for this matter, need I an additional hardware or not?

I'm very appreciated if someone answers my question.
    Thank you very much

• Quote from "Rad"

How can I detect power fail?

This can only be done by some external circuitry.

After detecting "power fail" how much time I have to save my application status?

The first thing that should happen, for example by an interrupt procedure, is to switch off any power hungry devices, e.g. the display and especially the display backlight. Then you can store your data in a file on the flash disk.

The amount of time that you have depends on the type of your power supply. For example if you add some capacities or accumulators, you can extend the time before power breaks down completely to several seconds..

Regards,

H. Keller

F&S Elektronik Systeme GmbH
    As this is an international forum, please try to post in English.
    Da dies ein internationales Forum ist, bitten wir darum, Beiträge möglichst in Englisch zu verfassen.

• Please note, that you must be very careful when you implement this functionality. This is because a power loss during a write to the FAT file system can destroy the FAT tables or your file. In the worst case, the NetDCU will not start anymore.
    Because of that, we are offering our new file system F3S. Go to our home page for more information.

Regards
    Holger

Da dies ein internationales Forum ist, bitten wir darum, Beiträge möglichst in Englisch zu verfassen.

• Thank you for your reply
    I read your documentation about F3S File system in your web site.
    What about compatibility of F3S File system with other file system?
    for example if PC connect to NetDCU8 with F3S File system via ActiveSync, Could see the files and copy from PC to Device and vise versa?

Thanks

• F3S offers the same functionality to WindowsCE as the FAT file system. There is no difference when you access F3S over Telnet/ActiveSync.
    Regards
    Holger