Posts by WMPM6LIN

To the F&S team:
    Is the patch 'DetectUSBSticks.patch' from 31/01/2012 for the bootloader 'UBOOT' already included on the PicoMOD6 ?
    At present, we still have to program the patch.

Quote from "fs-support_DK"

What exacly is your purpose? What media format do you want to use?

Thank you for your fast response.
    At the present I want to play wav-files( pcm ) with volume control using the QT Multimedia ( phonon ) library. But in the future it is possible that video files( avi ) will played too.
    Instead of QSound library to play sounds I prefer the QMultimedia library

Best regards

Hello,
    I want to use the QT phonon library. For this, the gstreamer library and the phonon-plugin 'library libphonon_gstreamer.so' are needed. I could not built the phonon-plugin with buildroot. And so, although in buildroot gestreamer and plugins 'gstreamer-plugins-base, -good, -ugly' etc was selected.
    I can build and run the QT phonon application. But at runtime, the error 'Phonon::createPath: Cannot connect Phonon::MediaObject(no objectName) to Phonon::AudioOutput(no objectName)' appears.
    In some forums I've read that to produce the phonon-plugins, first 'gstreamer' and its plugins must created before QT.
    Are you the same opinion ?

Hello,
    I want to display text-messages on the tft-display during updating kernel-firmware and rootfs-firmware under uboot.
    For example 'Updating kernel ...'.
    Can you give me a brief tutorial on this ?
    Best regards

Hello,
    we are using the Würth 749014011 transformer and it works fine.
    The transformer is connected to the PicoMOD6 as shown in the manual "PicoMOD-Startintf-V110.pdf":
    Pin connection Würth -> PicoMOD6:

1 -> RX+
    2 -> RX-
    3 -> VCC3,3
    4 -> N.C.
    5 -> N.C.
    6 -> TX+
    7 -> VCC3,3
    8 -> TX-

Pins 4, 5, 10, 12, 13 and 15 are not connected.

Best regards

Hello,
    I know this problem of the "jumpy pointer".
    Under certain circumstances the mouse pointer jumps several centimeters away from the desired touch press position and makes a curve like a parabola.
    Or the mouse pointer is dithering to the touch press position".
    The reasons of this problem are listed below:
    1) The shielding of the touchscreen and the touchscreen wires are not properly connected to ground.
    It is also very important, that the housing of the tft display is properly connected to ground.

2) There are not enough samples collected for the mean value. For tslib you can set in the file "ts.conf" some parameters to reduce jitter, for example "dejitter delta".

3) If the touch pressure of finger or stylus is too low, then the measured touch coordinates may be instable. For example the measured voltage at the touchscreen output lines increases while pressing the touch. So the mouse pointer moves away from the desired touch press position while the pressure is too low.
    Therefore some touch controllers have the option to measure the touch pressure ( contact resistance between x-plate and y-plate is measured and the correspondending touch pressure is calculated ).
    For example, the controller ucb1400 has this option, but the S3C6410 has not it.
    To solve the problem, the touchdriver or the tslib which uses the the touchdriver must have a limit of the touch pressure under
    which no new touch coordinates are outputted.
    Important: The problem depends on the touchscreen and it depends how the touch is pressed. For example if you press quickly with a stylus pen, the error occurs rarely and if you press slowly with the finger the error occurs very often.
    There is an application note of atmel how to measure the contact resistance of a four wire touchscreen if the resistance of the x-plate is known.
    Note:The resistance of the touchscreen is not stable during its life time. It depends on the production process, the environment humidity and temperature and other things . So its better, to use the mean value of the minimal and the maximal resistance of the x-plate, shown in the datasheet of the touch.
    The application note can be found under: "http://www.adafruit.com/datasheets/AVR341.pdf".
    Added on 31.10.2011: With the picomod6 it is possible, to measure the contact resistance( and the touch pressure ) with the method described above. You have to manually set the output lines of the touch controller and measure the voltage at the A/D inputs.

At this point thanks to the F&S team for the very good support.

Quote from "gct"

I have the same problem than djlegge, but I need sqlite command line editing, so I can't compile.
    Any idea or patch?

Thanks

Hello
    the function 'use_screen' I have not found in any include file in the extracted toolchain of 'cross-4.3.1-eabi_20080707.tar.tar', but in my
    linux host system.
    So what we need is a newer version of the cross compile toolchain which includes the function above or it must be possible to disable
    using of this function.
    Does anybody know more about this topic?

Quote from "fs-support_HK"

Thanks for this information. Does this mean this patch is needed on the PicoMOD6? Then I'll include it for the next release V1.1.

Thank you for your fast response.
    I don't know if this is an important patch for tslib.
    I have tested tslib without this patch and it works properly.
    The only thing that I have noticed is that the message 'Unknown event type ...' no more appears with this patch.
    Hope this is useful for you.
    Best regards

There is a patch for tslib. It should be used if during the calibration and the touch event the
    message 'tslib: Unknown event type' occurs.
    The patch 'tslib-1.0-fix-unkn-event-type.patch' can be found at: "http://github.com/caytchen/buildroot-grasshopper/tree/master/package/tslib/".
    How to patch in Buildroot:
    1) Put it in your /package/tslib/ directory.
    2) Delete in output/build tslib and all packages which linked to tslib and build new.
    3) If errors during compilation occurs, input the full path to the file for patching, for example
    './buildroot-2010.08/output/build/tslib-1.0/plugins/input-raw.c'.

Hello,
    will it be possible, to read/write a micro sd card at the mounted slot of PicoMOD6
    with the next release of the Linux-BSP ?

Best regards

I have read at the LinuxHQ Kernel homepage, that at kernel version 2.6.30 the s3c64xx-i2s is supported as SOC with sound interface.
    Is it possible, to use the configuration file, delievered with the kernel 2.6.28 on the starter kit CD, with the newest kernel version ?
    If yes, I think, in menu config the ALSA SOC S3C64xx can be choosen with the audio codec TLV320aic23b. So with this
    configuration the sound at the picomod6 must be work.
    Is this correct or is it much more complicated ?

The MAC address is not set during the boot process -> MAC address is 00:00:00:00:00:00 with the following exception:
    If in UBOOT is a dummy file loaded with the tftpboot command then the correct MAC address during booting is set.
    A work around that works is the following:
    1) In the boot arguments in UBOOT a parameter must be added, for example 'mac_address' with the value 'ethaddr' ( MAC address set by F&S):
    "setenv bootargs console=ttyASC2,38400 ... mac_adress=$(ethaddr)"
    2) After the boot process the parameter mac_address with its value can be found in '/proc/cmdline'
    3) The value of the MAC address can be extracted with 'sed' and regular expressions.
    4) The extracted MAC address then can be set under Linux as follows:
    "ifconfig eth0 hw ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx" ( the xx are the placeholders for the MAC address )

I have the following find under FAQ in the UBOOT project, "14.3.11. Ethernet does not work in Linux"

" Question:
    Ethernet does not work on my board. But everything is fine when I use the ethernet interface in U-Boot (for example by performing a TFTP download). This is a bug in U-Boot, right?

Answer:
    No. It's a bug in the Linux ethernet driver.

In some cases the Linux driver fails to set the MAC address. That's a buggy driver then - Linux ethernet drivers are supposed to read the MAC address at startup. On ->open, they are supposed to reprogram the MAC address back into the chip (but not the EEPROM, if any) whether or not the address has been changed.

In general, a Linux driver shall not make any assumptions about any initialization being done (or not done) by a boot loader; instead, that driver is responsible for performing all of the necessary initialization itself.

And U-Boot shall not touch any hardware it does not access itself. If you don't use the ethernet interface in U-Boot, it won't be initialized by U-Boot.

A pretty extensive discussion of this issue can be found in the thread ATAG for MAC address on the ARM Linux mailing list. archive 1 archive 2

Some current methods for handling the MAC address programming:

* use custom ATAGs (ARM systems)
    * use a Flattened Device Tree (if your arch/port supports it)
    * parse the U-Boot environment directly
    * pass it via the command line

If your device driver does not support one of these sources directly, then do it yourself:

* add an init board hook
    * program it from user space (`ifconfig hw ...`)
    * for people who need to do NFS root or similar, then use initramfs -- this is what it was designed for ! "

Is there already a patch to solve this problem ?

I have built the target filesystem with the ALSA Sound System and the kernel with "SoC Audio for the Samsung S3CXXXX chips"
    and "Build all ASoC CODEC drivers".
    During the boot process the following error message is displayed:
    "soc-audio: probe of soc-audio failed with error -5
    ALSA device list:
    No soundcards found."
    Before the error message the following message is displayed
    "asoc: AC97 HiFi <-> s3c64xx-ac97 mapping ok"
    I have used the kernel source delievered with the starter kit.
    Does anybody know this problem ?