Posts by ahmedawad

Thanks for your respond. I will tell the steps that I perform to use MfgTool:

1- I downloaded "nbootimx6ul_31.zip" from the F&S DownloadArea

2- Inside MfgTool folder I renamed the extracted file from "nbootimx6ul_31.bin" to "nboot.bin"

3- I reviewed the content of ucl2 XML file, here is my content -->

I am not sure if dev=MX6Q is correct for imx6Ul ?

4- I attached imx6Ul module on the development board and plugged the USB-Macro cable in the board and in my PC. Then I started MfgTool2.exe, however I can not detect the board.

Please do I miss any steps or you do have modifications ?

Thanks

Kind regards

I deleted the Nboot accidentally on efusA9 module. I remember that I did the following:

* Entered the Nboot console from the DCUTermi ( shift + s and click reset button on the development board)

* Erased nand (shift + E) and clicked 'd' which will wait for the "uBoot" to be pushed on the module

* Instead of writting uBoot and selected nboot.bin and it was written !!

After that I could not get any response from the module. The only solution was using MFgTool to re-download the "nboot.bin" on the efusA9 module, then it worked again.

When I was trying to do the same for efusA7Ull, the module does not show anything on any of the serial ports. The voltage pins on the development board is in order and no problems.

The 2 leds which shall toggle on the module if there is no "uBoot" installed on the NAND flash do not toggle as well.

Thanks

Kind regards

Hi everyone,

I have been using 7ull module for long time but this is the first time I face this problem. I know when there is no nboot installed on the module and when I click on the reset button on the development board, then I can see on DCUTerminal <0> is printed.

I have tested this before, I once removed nboot mistakenly on efusA9 module and i was able to retrieve it when I downloaded the MfgTool and i flashed a new one again. This time the module does not show anything when I connect it to the DCUtermi and it does not even print a <0> when I click on the reset button of the development board.

Please do you have any way or suggestions to test if the module still functional?

Thanks

kind regards

Ahmed

Hi Everyone,

I am testing a 3.5" display with efusA7Ull. The display should be compatible with your 3.5" display, here you please can have a look on the LCD. We are using touch controller SX8675 as SX8655 is obsolete but it should give the same result as stated from your note.

I did the following:

1- Build yocto image "fus-image-qt5" with modifying efusa7Ul.dts file in kernel, only this part to use for 3.5" display.

I added some packages to IMAGE_INSTALL in fus-image-qt5 receipe such as tslib, tslib-calibrate and so on. So that was all my modifications in yocto

2- I flashed the output sdcard image on the emmc on the efusA7ULL module and booted from the emmc.

Result: The LCD worked and I was able run a qt application with the 3.5" correct resolution. To well describe my issue I used a qt app which is a combination of buttons when any button is clicked, then it simply counts a number inside this button. The problem is that most of buttons at the edges do not respond when they are touched. Only buttons almost in the middle work, outside the middle area do not respond. I thought it may be calibration problem so I used "ts_calibrate" but no gain. Here is a photo for the screen.

These are my qt environment variables:

Code
    1. export QT_QPA_PLATFORM=linuxfb:fb=/dev/fb0
    2. export QT_QPA_EVDEV_TOUCHSCREEN_PARAMETERS=/dev/input/touchscreen0:rotate=180
    3. export QT_QPA_FB_TSLIB=1
    4. export TSLIB_FBDEVICE=/dev/fb0
    5. export TSLIB_TSDEVICE=/dev/input/touchscreen0

Please what could be the reason for this issue ? is it a miss configuration in the kernel for my LCD as described in step 1 ? what will be the correct configuration in case I use your 3.5" display ? Please any help is greatly appreciated.

Last to mention that, when I build the yocto image without any modifications and flash it to the emmc, then the application works perfectly after "ts_calibrate" on your 7 inch display that comes with your SDK kit.

Thanks in advance
    Ahmed

Hi everyone,

the current working yocto releases for some of f&s platforms such as efusA9 and efus7ull works with sysVinit (system V) which is not actually suitable for our requirement. I took Y0.6 version as an example and tried to remove sysVinit from it by adding in the local configuration file local.conf

Code
    1. DISTRO_FEATURES_append = " systemd"
    2. VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_init_manager = "systemd"
    3. DISTRO_FEATURES_BACKFILL_CONSIDERED = "sysvinit"
    4. VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_initscripts = ""

This should uses systemd and removes sysVinit when starting the services. It builds, outputs the final image and apparentlly it uses systemd to start the services. However I can not login ? when I enter the "root" as a login username, the console hangs and does not show anything, then after some seconds it prompots me to login again. I could not understand this behaviour. Note please that I have not changed any thing in the yocto sources except adding the last lines to my local.conf which I think it actually removes sysVinit.

Please what is the correct way in order to backfall sysVinit in yocto and use sysemd instead?

Thanks
    kind regards

Hi everyone,

I have the 7ULL module and I made some tests with the new yocto release Y1.0 specially with CAN interface. I didn't build the yocto from source but I directly tested the f&s compiled version in "binaries" folder after I extracted "fsimx6ul-Y1.0.tar.bz2"

In this "binaries" folder there are many files, I copied them to FAT formated USB stick and only renamed the following files so that the names match the environement variables that will be set by the install.scr file.

* uImage-fsimx6ul-Y1.0 --> uImage-fsimx6ul
    * install-fsimx6ul-Y1.0.scr --> install.scr
    * fus-image-std-x11-fsimx6ul-Y1.0.ubifs --> rootfs-fsimx6ul.ubifs
    * efusa7ull-Y1.0.dtb --> efusa7ull.dtb

I erased the nand flash on the 7Ull module and installed new uboot version from the same "binaries" folder, exactly this one "uboot-fsimx6ul-Y1.0.nb0". After that I inserted the USB stick on the development boad then it started writing the ubifs to the nand and I can login normally.

I brought CAN0 interface up using "ip link set can0 up type can bitrate 125000" then I used PCAN adapter to test the communication between the development board and the adapter.

1- Transmission from PC over PCAN adapter to the development board:
    running the following on the serial console on the development board receives all messages correctly when they sent from the PC side.

Code
    1. candump can0

2- Transmission from development board to PC over PCAN adapter
    when sending this frame from the development board over the CAN bus using -->

Code
    1. cansend can0 456#43414e2054657374

it will not be correctly received on the PC side in the PCAN View window. !!

PLEASE note when I perform the same test exactly as in 1 and 2 for those binaries of the buildroot method, then this problem does not show up again. This leaves no doubt that the CAN drivers used in yocto sources are somehow different from that of buildroot method.

I attached also a photo of the received frame on the PCAN view whe transmitted from the development board.

Thanks
    Kind regards

Thanks again!
    I was actually trying to use an over the air updater called Mender on the efusA9 platform. The updater has yocto layer called meta-mender. I tried to integrate it with your new release of yocto [meta-fus (ver 0.6)], which actually took quite time but it worked at final. It would be much easier to use U-boot 2016 when integrating. Mender updater has some patches to the u-boot which adds its own environment variables to it to allow the update and roll back feature. As you mentioned Kconfig is replaced by Makefile.autoconf in newly u-boot versions, which required to remodify the patches and modify them locally in meta-mender to fit u-boot 2014 from efus.

I think it will be easier in the integration process when u-boot 2016 is used and I thought you might have a new version from u-boot which may come out soon and we can use it. Besides the current u-boot version is getting older and a new version is preferable :)

I may have a little sugesstion that it would be actually great to provide something like this mender updater when launching new release of yocto for all the efus boards. It is actually adds high value to the board and allows many for performing a way to update the controllers remotely.

kind regards,

Thank you very much, I will try this but I have tiny question. Is it possible to port fximx6 machine from u-boot 2014 to use 2016.07 ? or this requires updates to the nboot as well ?
    It will be great if you can provide a version for u-boot 2016.

Thanks again.

Hi,

I compiled uboot for efusA9 from fsimx6-V3.1. Then I copied fw_printenv and fw_setenv to /sbin in the rootfs of my image.
    When I perform cat /proc/mtd

Code
    1. dev: size erasesize name
    2. mtd0: 00040000 00020000 "NBoot"
    3. mtd1: 000c0000 00020000 "UserDef"
    4. mtd2: 00040000 00020000 "Refresh"
    5. mtd3: 000c0000 00020000 "UBoot"
    6. mtd4: 00040000 00020000 "UBootEnv"
    7. mtd5: 00800000 00020000 "Kernel"
    8. mtd6: 001c0000 00020000 "FDT"
    9. mtd7: 0f400000 00020000 "TargetFS"

I wrote to /etc/fw_env.config only one line to access the uboot environment variables

Code
    1. /dev/mtd4 0x00000 0x20000

when I try to write a variable in uboot from user space using --> "fw_setenv test 1" and when --> "fw_printenv test" then it shows that the variable is correctly written into the NAND flash.

However when I reboot and try to look into the variable on the uboot console, I can not find it when "printenv test" ???

Please what is the correct values that I should write in /etc/fw_env.config, I feel that the values I have are not correct.

Thanks

Please, do you have an estimation when should the new yocto version come out?
    The current yocto version has problems such as the CAN bus. If I follow your steps exactly and create a yocto image with the old kernel 3.1, then CAN bus receives the messages correctly but sends invalid messages.

I tested the buildroot method to create the image, with this image everything is working fine.

Hi everyone,

I have deleted Nboot by mistake. I did the following.
    I connected my Evaluation board with DCUTermi program and pressed "Capital s", the Nboot showed the Options. I chose 'd' which should download the Bootloader. I loaded the "nbootimx6_asa9_u1_35.bin" by mistake from File-> Transmit Binary File.

Now when I reset the board nothing shows. It shows only <0>. Is there any way to retrieve the Nboot on efusA9 (DL) ?

Thanks in adance.

Hi everyone,

I bought 2 evaluation starter kits one for efusA9 and one for efusA7UL modules. I have started efusA9 and I had now relatively good hands on. Now I switched to test the efusA7UL module and discovered some differences when I run uboot and my question is: is it possible to see mmc slots on the evaluaion kit when efusA7UL module is connected?

I am asking because I did the following scenario:

I inserted one micro SDCARD and one SDCARD in the corresponding slots on the evaluation kit. If I use efusA9 module on the evaluation kit and from uboot serial console, I can find all the sdcard types even I can see the emmc on the module. I do this using

Code
    1. mm dev 0

then I switch to card 0, and the same for card 1 and 2.

If I insert efusA7UL module on the evaluation kit, I can only see the emmc on slot 0 and I can not switch to the other sdcards on the evaluation kit. Which I see a little strange and I do not understand why?

Thanks,
    kind regards,

Please, I would be grateful if you can explain how did you enable the HDMI_ON from the board support files?

I have efusA9 board and I want to compile the build "buildroot-2016.05-fsimx6-V3.1" but when I do "make menuconfig" I can not find in the list the option to activate the HDMI driver.

Thanks,
    kind regards

Hi Everyone,

I have the Starter kit efusA9 linux and I am trying to build a yocto image. I followed the steps in the README from (fsimx6-Y0.2) and I got the binaries, then I flashed the sdcard image and it was working great on the module.

There is one problem. The linux in fsimx6-Y0.2\sources\meta-f+s\recipes-kernel\linux\linux-fsimx6 is outdated. Its version is "linux-3.10.17". I want to update it and use 4.1.15. I did the following:

1- I downloaded both "fsimx6-V3.1" and "fsimx6-Y0.2" from My F&S from the website.
    2- I replaced the .tar.bz2 linux file from "fsimx6-Y0.2\sources\meta-f+s\recipes-kernel\linux\linux-fsimx6\linux-3.10.17-fsimx6-Y0.2.tar.bz2" with the .tar.bz2 linux file from fsimx6-V3.1\sources\linux-4.1.15-fsimx6-V3.1.tar.bz2
    3- I modified the receipe file "linux-fsimx6_0.2.bb" to match the new replaced kernel name, specifically those 2 lines,

Code
    1. SRC_URI = "file://linux-4.1.15-fsimx6-V3.1.tar.bz2"
    2. S = "${WORKDIR}/linux-4.1.15-fsimx6-V3.1"

4- I followed the same steps as I did before to build the previous image. I mean in the "README-yocto-f+s" file "fsimx6-Y0.2\README-yocto-f+s"

then i get the following error in the build process: "#error Your compiler is too buggy" I attached the log from the bitbake.

Please any help on how to get an efusA9 yocto image with kernel 4.1.15 ?

Thanks,
    kind regards,