Posts by camforrest

Does anyone have experience using DDR from the M7 core?

We would like to use DDR (with caching enabled) for extra data space - which we have done, and It sometimes works, but often crashes.

Picocoremx8mp.dtsi has this comment and #if :

Code
    1. /* Running the m-core from the ddr is not supportet yet */
    2. #if 0
    3. m4_reserved: m4@0x80000000 {
    4. no-map;
    5. reg = <0 0x80000000 0 0x1000000>;
    6. };
    7. #endif

Can anyone clarify why running from DDR is not supported? The NXP evk dts (imx8mp-evk-rpmsg.dts) has this section enabled.

We have enabled this section of the device tree (removing the #if 0).

We are still using MIMX8ML8xxxxx_cm7_ram.ld which has been working fine, but have modified to add a new m_data3 section, which we would like to have caching enabled for performance. So we have defined __CACHE_REGION_START/SIZE to match this section.

The init code in board.c applies the following DDR settings:

Code
    1. /* Region 6 DDR[cacheStart]: Memory with Normal type, not shareable, cacheable */
    2. MPU->RBAR = ARM_MPU_RBAR(6, cacheStart);
    3. MPU->RASR = ARM_MPU_RASR(0, ARM_MPU_AP_FULL, 1, 0, 1, 1, 0, (i - 1));

Any clues, or reports if others have this working would be much appreciated!

We are also looking into CPU temperature. Currently with low load, the core is reporting around 55degs, in ambient of around 25degs.

We only have a heatspreader (not a heatsink). NXP AN13054 leads me to expect more like 40degs.

So far I have tried disabling 3 of the 4 A53 cores (in uboot, set "extra" to "maxcpus=1"), and also using the LCD enabled device tree vs no LCD. Neither had a significant impact on temperature.

It would be great if others would share their cooling setup and temperatures etc.

Hi,

While I wait for my evaluation board to arrive I'm looking into the docs and VM. I notice there is not (yet) a freertos release for the mx8mp (only for the mx8mm).
    Do you have any information on when a release might be available, and/or any experience on modifying the mm release to run the examples (or even a helloworld)?

Thanks!
    Cam