Expansion Bus PicoMOD3

• Hello,

I'm looking for a technical documentation of the expansion bus of the PicoMOD3 board. All I have found is
    the pin assignment (A0..A10 + D0..D15). Is this bus the original interface bus of the S3C2443 or is this
    a F&S specific bus? Are timings charts and data throughputs available for this bus? Is this bus supported
    in the BSP driver package?

Thank you and best regards

Rony Spring

• Hello

According to a email of Mr. Bäder from F&S is the expansion bus the original interface bus of the S3C2443. Timings and data
    can by found in the datasheet of the S3C2443 by Samsung. You need to register at samsung homepage for getting the datasheet.
    Thanks for help to Mr. Bäder

Best regards

Rony Spring

• I would think twice before using the expansion bus. The basic idea for our boards is, that we only use common interfaces like USB, Ethernet, UART, etc. This makes porting of the whole application to another board of our board families very easy, as these interfaces will behave exactly the same way on the new board. Therefore when only using these interfaces, you are mostly independent from the core hardware of the board itself.

This can not be said from such an expansion port. This port is highly processor dependent. It is not guaranteed that an expansion port on some future board will have the same signals, timings or overall behavior like this one on the PicoMOD3. Therefore hardware connected to it may not be easy portable to some other board.

Just don't forget to consider this. Nevertheless if all other interfaces are too slow for the application in mind, the expansion port may be the only way to solve this and then you have to go this way.

Regards,

H. Keller

F&S Elektronik Systeme GmbH
    As this is an international forum, please try to post in English.
    Da dies ein internationales Forum ist, bitten wir darum, Beiträge möglichst in Englisch zu verfassen.