Creating a stand-alone virtual device (Compact 2013)

• Hello,

I'm new to NetDCU, and I'm new to Windows Embedded development.

I would like to set up a stand-alone virtual device, for my NetDCUA5.
    Why? I would start developping without the HW, and I could save the deployment time when I will run and test my application during the development. Among others.

According to Microsoft "Developer Guide" http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj823234.aspx, to Run the application without Platform Builder:

You must have one of the following:

• A device that has the OS image stored in flash memory.
    • A stand-alone virtual CEPC that you created or have access to, which includes the OS image on a virtual drive.

I created a virtual hard disk, I added the bootloader and the OS image I downloaded from F&S website download area. I added it to my virtual device hard disk, renamed it NK.bin. Then I created a Virtual Device with Virtual PC, and changed the Virtual Device's settings in order to make it boot on the local disk instead of the network.
    Unfortunately, when I started my stand-alone virtual device, it automatically closes displaying the 5 messages "Hit Space to enter configuration menu".

Any idea?

• I don't think that this will work. A virtual machine always emulates some hardware. VirtualPC usually emulates a standard PC hardware, with BIOS and so on. But it can not emulate a NetDCUA5 because it does not know anything of a NetDCUA5. It does not know where the hardware is connected, it does not know what type of display to use, it does not know about the companion chips (ethernet PHYs for example). So how should it be capable of emulating this hardware?

By the way is VirtualPC even capable of running ARM code in the first place?

Your F&S Support Team

F&S Elektronik Systeme GmbH
    As this is an international forum, please try to post in English.
    Da dies ein internationales Forum ist, bitten wir darum, Beiträge möglichst in Englisch zu verfassen.

• Hello,

.. and I could save the deployment time when I will run and test my application during the development. Among others

You don't save time using a VPC. Development and debugging can be done in "real time" on the device. Also the file tranfer from "Visual Studio" to the device is very fast.

Da dies ein internationales Forum ist, bitten wir darum, Beiträge möglichst in Englisch zu verfassen.

• Thanks for your replies.

fs-support_ZU If I would save no time, then I understand better why it's hard for me to find information about that on the web.
    When I realized it takes 2-3 minutes for my PC to upload the application to the NetDCU8 I was just afraid!
    But if with the NetDCUA5 it's done in a couple of seconds it's fine for me.

fs-support_HK I think VPC does support ARM code, but if it wouldn't I'm still interested in finding another Virtual Machine software. If I understand well, a virtual device could be configured to emulate any kind of hardware, if it has been configured to.

My conclusion: If you expert guys tell me that you never used such virtual device, I would definitely not need it to develop my application. Thanks again for your support!

• Hello,

When I realized it takes 2-3 minutes for my PC to upload the application to the NetDCU14 I was just afraid!
    But if with the NetDCUA5 it's done in a couple of seconds it's fine for me.

Hm, i dont think that NetDCUA5 is faster in download files. How big is your executable? Can you try to debug vai Ethernet - is the download than faster.