eMMC IO performance

• Hi,

We recently received an EFUSA9-SKIT-W13 starterskit for our evaluations. One of the first tests that I performed was comparing the IO performance of the eMMC storage on our new starterskit to the NAND IO performance of the EFUSA9-SKIT2-W13 starterskit that we already owned. The test was executed by a simple C# application (Compact Framework) that writes increasingly larger files to the filesystem and measures the performance. All tests were executed on WinCE7 (OS image XIPIMX6_C7E_V100_150202).

To my suprise, the eMMC read performance was drastically lower than the NAND read performance. Below are our figures:

EFUSA9-SKIT-W13 eMMC (Read)
    6245 Kb/s

EFUSA9-SKIT-W13 eMMC (Write)
    3547 Kb/s

EFUSA9-SKIT2-W13 NAND (Read)
    11175 Kb/s

EFUSA9-SKIT2-W13 NAND (Write)
    3657 Kb/s

I expected the eMMC performance to be (at least) equal to the NAND performance, expecially since I've done tests with other eMMC systems that were significantly faster (for example 16000 Kb/s read speed). Is there a reason why I'm experiencing this level of read performance on the eMMC ? Is it for example the typical speed of the eMMC component used and is there also an option to fit other (faster) eMMC solutions to the module ?

Kind regards,

• Hi,

In the Efus A9 roadmap, I saw that the abovementioned issue was scheduled to be released in FSiMX6 - V1.50 (Scheduled For Release 2015-04-23). We're quite anxious to test this performance improvement but were wondering, since the planned release date was missed some time ago, when we can expect the next release containing this fix ?

Kind regards,