USB (Virtual COM Port) and RS232 Problems

• I have some problems with RS232 and USB connection:

RS232:
    We are using COM2 port (Pin 17-20) for RS232 communication and I cannot communicate if I set the handshaking function to RTS/CTS. Receiving works but it seems that the PicoMODA9 cannot send data back to the PC. I saw in the DeviceDriver documentation (WINCE_FSiMX6_DeviceDriver_eng.pdf), chapter 5, that only a parity "NONE" is supported by the IMX6 boards. Is this correct?

USB:
    We use the USB Device as an virtual serial port (USBSER_Class). When I set the default client driver of the PicoMODA9 ([HKLM\Drivers\USB\FunctionDrivers] DefaultClientDriver = USBSER_Class), the board is correctly identified as an virtual COM Port on my PC but if I want to connect to the board, I get an error message in my PC program: "Das Zeitlimit für die Semaphore wurde erreicht." (Or with DCUTermi: "ComPort settings not appropriate. See error message: 121", the same on second try but with "See error message: 31"). I'm using the same driver inf file (from this Forum) as for the PicoMOD6 boards. Do I have to change anything on that driver or on the Registry settings of the PicoMODA9 to get it to work?

• USB:
    i assume this is a bug in the microsoft part of the driver, we had this alread had on another board. So i hope we can resolve it with kernel V1.60. I put it in our roadmap.

RS232:
    as far as i know we support RTS/CTS only via "EscapeCommFunction" not via DCB::XXX!
    And this should wor also with parity!=NONE.
    If the problem persist, have you a sample (PMA9<->PC)?

F&S Elektronik Systeme GmbH
    As this is an international forum, please try to post in English.
    Da dies ein internationales Forum ist, bitten wir darum, Beiträge möglichst in Englisch zu verfassen.

• USB:
    do you use the latest kernel? This problem should already resolverd on imx6 platform.
    If not - any further details (OS, Bootlog, ... ?).

Da dies ein internationales Forum ist, bitten wir darum, Beiträge möglichst in Englisch zu verfassen.

Edited once, last by fs-support_ZU ().

• Hello,

yes i ment 1.50 too. According our version administration the bug is fixed since 2.6.15. Nevertheless please try V1.60, i assume it is working now.

• Hello,

just restarted testing the PicoMODA9 with Kernel Version 1.80 but both Problems (USB virtual COM) and RS232 Hardware Handshake still exist.

USB:
    The virtual COM port is present in the device manager of my PC and the message is "Das Gerät funktioniert einwandfrei".
    I still get error message 121 in DCUTerm.exe when opening the port to the PicoMODA9, but I found out, that I can communicate with the PicoMODA9 when I Close the Dialog.
    The Problem is that when I try to connect the PicoMODA9 using our own Software which is written in C#, I get an exception (Das Zeitlmit für die Semaphore wurde überschritten) when I try to open the port and I can't use the port.
    You mentioned that the bug is fixed since 2.6.15, but I can't find an entry in the changelog.

Here is the bootlog:

RS232:
    I still can't get the PicoMODA9 to send date when using RTS handshake.

as far as i know we support RTS/CTS only via "EscapeCommFunction" not via DCB::XXX!
    And this should wor also with parity!=NONE.
    If the problem persist, have you a sample (PMA9<->PC)?

What do you mean with

"EscapeCommFunction" not via DCB::XXX!

As I'm programming in C# using the builtIn System.IO.Ports.SerialPort class, can you give me a example how I have to implement Hardware handshaking?

• Hello,

I just saw These entries in the Roadmap for Kernel Version 2.00:

- 0002882: [USB host] USBSER.Dll: .NET CF ApplyDCB() not working - resolved
    - 0002886: [Serial Driver/Interface] COM_MDD2: .NET CF ApplyDCB() not working - resolved

Another entry in Roadmap for V2.30 is:
    - 0002772: [USB device] Virtual COM over USB generates errors - Feedback

Do These entries cause my Problem?
    If yes, the sceduled release for V 2.30 is 2016-06-30. This is a bit too late :sad: .

• I tested RS232 RTS/CTS handshake with Kernel 2.00 but it still does not work.

Now I found another entry in the Roadmap for V2.10:
    - 0002890: [Serial Driver/Interface] RTS/CTS does not work. - new

I think, this will solve my RS232 Problems... nor not?

I still would like to know if Roadmap entry 2772 (see above) is related to my Problems.

• Hello,
    my collegue is just working on this feature. I will be fixd within this week - we assume. It is related to 0002533 because RS485 needs RTS internally.

• RTS/CTS, RS485 (issue 0002553): we found the issue and in the last stage of implemntation.
    VCOM (2772): Can you please give me you a detailed step by step description or a referenz to our docs so that i can reproduce it on my desk! Thanks.

• - Change USB Function driver to USBSER_Class: (\Drivers\USB\FunctionDrivers\Default = USBSER_Class)
    - Connect the PicoMODA9 to a Computer
    - Start DcuTermi.exe
    - Open the COM Port of the PicoMODA9
    -> Error 121

• Hello,

sorry it was our fault. We forgot to implement the reworked driver. We add it to kernel version V2.10. In the mean while use following and register it as Default Client Driver:

Finally copy attached DLL to ffsdisk. Thanks.

Files