Memory Leak in Windows Embedded Compact 2013 (OS or drivers)

• Hello,

I am investigating a decrease of the "Available Physical Memory" returned by GlobalMemoryStatus() of about 200 KB/day in Windows Embedded Compact 2013 (efusA9 V1.60 - Firmware, Build: Oct 16 2015/20:01:55, EFUSA9 V3 Solo; LVDS attached Display)

Although 200 KB/day sound not that much it is too much for a system that has to be available 24/7.

I have hunt down the problem to an Operating System Issue: When I open Control Panel/System/Memory and observe the "Program Memory in Use" for several hours, it shows the same leak rate of about 200 KB/day (12 KB in 90 minutes). This test is done without our custom application running, with no network connection and no USB devices.

I therefore suspect something in the OS or one of the drivers.

Is there any chance to find out the leakee?

• Hello,

thanks for your Information.
    Think we have a good chance to find or workaroud the issue if there is any. I don't think so.

Note, Windows CE allocates memory in blocks, is any application requests some blocks and release them later you want see this in the "memory in use". Only if you close the application or memory is in sufficent the (system calls HeapCompact), then you will see "memory in use" decreases.

Test: Run an application with serveral sub windows-> open an additonal windows "memory in use" increase -> close the dialog "memory in use" does not decrease! Open another window -> ... .

I will do some test and keep you informed.

F&S Elektronik Systeme GmbH
    As this is an international forum, please try to post in English.
    Da dies ein internationales Forum ist, bitten wir darum, Beiträge möglichst in Englisch zu verfassen.

• Hello,

I think there is an issue because the decrease in available physical memory can be observed with no application running, with no user interaction and no network cable connected.

Just boot up the board, open the Memory tab in the Control Panel/System and wait. The number of Program Memory in Use will increase by about 12 kB per hour.

• Hello,

I think there is an issue because the decrease in available physical memory can be observed with no application running, with no user interaction and no network cable connected.

There are always some services running - but you are right after some hours i did not expect any increase.

I run a ASA9 over night (19h) with kernel V1.60 and detect no incrasing memory. This morning i got EFUSA9 solo and repeat a more detailed test (runtime < 2h). Think tommorw we have a result and can check what to do. Details (versions/code) see below.

Da dies ein internationales Forum ist, bitten wir darum, Beiträge möglichst in Englisch zu verfassen.

Edited 3 times, last by fs-support_ZU ().

• Hello,

i think i cannot confirm a memory leak. You are right there are an inrcrease over 12kB/h. But sometimes there is also a release over several kB. Measured over 48h i saw no alarming increase.

Over the weekend i will run a final test. I also record the fluctuation and extremum.

PS. ok i rewatch my logs, i am not sure. Think on many we know it.

Edited once, last by fs-support_ZU ().

• Hello,

ok i can confirm the leak. I test 68h under WEC2013/V1.60. The trend is clear now.
    Will will resolve it aps.

Edited once, last by fs-support_ZU ().

• Hello,

I tested WEC2013 1.50 by just watching the System Properties / Memory Tab and also notice the approx. 12KB/h increase of Program Memory in use:

Time Program Memory In Use
    11:35 158624 KB
    11:55 158632 KB
    12:45 158636 KB
    13:10 158640 KB
    14:25 158652 KB
    15:00 158656 KB

I will keep the system running without any external interaction and report my observations.

• Hello,

this issue is resolved with Windows Embedded Compact 2013 updates up to 2016M10 (Kernel Version V2.20, refer changelog).