armstonea9r2 Qt5 examples

• Hello

I am working with a armstonea9r2.

I connected a HDMI monitor to armstonea9r2 HDMI port, and a mouse to armstonea9r2 USB host.
    Setting in uboot

Code
    1. run .console_display

I can see starting kernel messages in HDMI monitor.
    Logged as root, using

Code
    1. cat /dev/input/mice

moving the mouse I can see characters on the console.

To tell the armstonea9r2 the display to use, I modified armstonea9r2dl.dts this way:

I also commented the line

Code
    1. //#define CONFIG_ARMSTONEA9R2_CAPTOUCH_MXT224 /* roberto */

because I do not have capacitive touch.

I compiled fsimx6_qt5_defconfig, with the succesful result in /output/images

Code
    1. rvelazquez@Fedora23 images]$ pwd
    2. /home/rvelazquez/fsimx6-V3.0/build-dir/buildroot-2016.05-fsimx6-V3.0/output/images
    3. [rvelazquez@Fedora23 images]$ ls
    4. armstonea9dl.dtb armstonea9q.dtb armstonea9r2dl.dtb armstonea9r2q.dtb efusa9dl.dtb efusa9q.dtb rootfs.ext2 rootfs.ext4 rootfs.ubifs uImage

I updated to the NAND armstonea9r2 the device tree armstonea9r2dl.dtb, and the kernel uImage.
    The file system rootfs.ext is loaded succesfully by NFS, read write enabled.

Logged as root.
    I execute the analogclok example supplied, getting error:

I created a kit in Qt creator using your toolchain (please see Qt Armstonea9r2 kit.PNG). I compiles correctly. However when the application is executed (logged as root) I get the same error.

Thank you for your help.

Regards.

• Can you do the following test. Remove all qt5 related packages in Buildroot's output/build directory and call "make" again.

Code
    1. rm -rf output/build/qt5*
    2. make

This should rebuild all Qt packages. I have the suspicion that there is some dependency missing in Buildroot and then some parts of Qt are built before the EGL support is fully compiled and available. Then some EGL parts are missing in the Qt binaries. When I did this the last time, I got a considerably larger root filesystem with many more examples than before. I thought this was an error on my PC, that it crashed in some build during the night, but maybe this is a reproducible problem that hits everybody.

Your F&S Support Team

F&S Elektronik Systeme GmbH
    As this is an international forum, please try to post in English.
    Da dies ein internationales Forum ist, bitten wir darum, Beiträge möglichst in Englisch zu verfassen.

• Hello

Using Armstonea9r2, fsimx6-V3.0, fsimx6_qt5_defconfig, armstonea9r2dl.dts modified to control HDMI monitor.

This is what I did

Code
    1. make fsimx6_qt5_defconfig
    2. make menuconfig # enable gdb host python
    3. rm -rf output/build/qt5*
    4. make clean
    5. make busybox-menuconfig # enable fdisk. If it is done before make clean, then fdisk does not appear in rootfs
    6. make

This time I did not update armstonea9r2dl.dtb neither uImage to NAND flash, I did the first time. rootfs.ext4 is loaded by NFS correctly.

I did not compile anything by Qt Creator qmake armstonea9r2, I just executed one of the examples already on the armstonea9r2, I connected by serial debug port console ttymxc3.

It did not work.

See please snapshot attached, I could not copy-paste from putty.

Thank you indeed.

Regards

• OK, this was a complete rebuild. This will lead to the same situation as before. What I meant was just recompiling qt5. So no "make clean" after removing the output/build/qt5* directories ("make clean" removes output/build completely anyway, so there would be no point in removing some directories in a separate step before this).

Your F&S Support Team

Da dies ein internationales Forum ist, bitten wir darum, Beiträge möglichst in Englisch zu verfassen.

• Hello

I did not work.

This is what I did:

Code
    1. make fsimx6_qt5_defconfig
    2. make menuconfig # enable gdb host python
    3. rm -rf output/build/qt5*
    4. make busybox-menuconfig # enable fdisk. If it is done before make clean, then fdisk does not appear in rootfs
    5. make

I noticed than rootfs.ubifs increased from 105Mb (my previous make) to 166Mb.

I set some environment variables. I logged ssh as root.

This is the cpature:

Googling

eglfs unable to query physical screen size defaulting to 100 dpi

, there are a lot of issues on this topic. I did not try any of them, I before would like to know your advise, please.

Thank you.

Kind regards.

• It is still not what I meant. After your step 5, now issue steps 3 and 5 again. When there are some problems in the compilation sequence, then recompiling the whole thing from scratch does not help much. You have to compile only those parts again, that were compiled too early in the previous run.

Let's give an example. Let's assume that the configuration step during the build process of some Qt example checks if there is EGL available. But what if EGL is compiled *after* this Qt example? Then the Qt example will be compiled without EGL support. Later in the whole build process, also the EGL part will be compiled. But the Qt example remains without EGL support because it is already finished.

Now if you remove all Qt packages again (and only them), then EGL is already there when the Qt example is compiled again. So now it will be built with EGL support.

Of course this should not happen. The compilation sequence should be set up in a way that EGL is always compiled before Qt. This is done by adding the EGL package as a dependency to Qt. This means telling the build process: "before Qt can be compiled, you must have done EGL first". Sometimes this can be easily detected. If a package fails to build because another package is missing, then this dependency is pretty obvious. However sometimes the situation is not as clear as in this example. If a package still builds fine, but only a feature is missing, then this dependency is not as clearly visible as before. So you first have to detect that there is something missing, and then you have to find out what you have to do to get the compilation sequence right. This is what may happen in our case and what I'm trying to find out by giving you these instructions. Qt builds fine, but it is is not configured and compiled correctly because at the time of Qt configuration some other package(s) are not built yet.

By the way the messages about the unknown physical screen size do not lead to problems. The examples should work nonetheless. If you like you can set some environment variables with the dimensions of your display to get rid of these messages.

Your F&S Support Team

• Hello

This what I did:

Code
    1. make clean
    2. make fsimx6_qt5_defconfig
    3. make menuconfig # enable gdb host python
    4. make busybox-menuconfig # enable fdisk. If it is done before make clean, then fdisk does not appear in rootfs
    5. make
    6. rm -rf output/build/qt5*
    7. make

This time I updated just genetared armstonea9r2dl.dtb and uImage to NAND flash, rootfs.ext4 loaded by NFS.

It did not work. Again eglfs error = 0x3003.

Thank you for your help.

Regards.

• Hello,
    Have you tried other examples as well?
    There are lots of examples that comes with the QT Example Package. Of course we couldn't test every example, so it might be that some are not working but others do.
    For example I checked some widget examples in /usr/lib/qt/examples/ that worked fine:

- widgets/animation/animatedtiled
    - widgets/painting/composition
    - widgets/painting/deform
    - widgets/painting/pathstroke

Are they working in your configuration or is the result the same?

Best Regards
    Your F&S Support Team.

• Hello

I did again

Code
    1. make clean
    5. make
    6. rm -rf output/build/qt5*
    7. make

I tested all the examples you mentioned, all of them resulted the

EGL Error : Could not create the egl surface: error = 0x3003

, for example animatedtiles:

I can see kernnel messages on the HDMI monitor (run .console_display in uboot).

In my host I have found two armstonea9r2dl.dts identical, see please "020 armstonea9r2dl dts checked identical by kdiff3.PNG". I modified the "/home/rvelazquez/fsimx6-V3.0/build-dir/linux-fsimx6/arch/arm/boot/dts/armstonea9r2dl.dts" to tell HDMI display. I attach my armstonea9r2dl.dts file.

The armstonea9r2dl.dtb updated to NAND flash FDT part when I tested the examples was the one located in "/home/rvelazquez/fsimx6-V3.0/build-dir/buildroot-2016.05-fsimx6-V3.0/output/images/armstonea9r2dl.dtb", see please "021 output images armstonea9r2dl dtb updated to nand flash FDT part.PNG".

Thank you for your help indeed.

Kind regards

• Hello

I tested this:

- Load by NFS the rootfs.ext4 generated by making fsimx6_std_defcong.
    - armstonea9r2dl.dtb with HDMI display updated to NAND flash FDT part. armstonea9r2dl.dtb generated by making fsimx6_qt5_defconfig (+phyton support gdb).
    - uImage updated to NAND flash Kernel part. uImage generated by making fsimx6_qt5_defconfig (+phyton support gdb).

The default GUI X-Window desktop matchbox is shown correctly on HDMI monitor, mouse works correctly.

Any problem with my armstonea9r2dl.dts or armstonea9r2dl.dtb can be ruled out.

Regards.

• Hellow

I captured configure stage when making qt5base.
    This is what I did:

Code
    1. make clean
    4. make
    5. make qt5base-dirclean
    6. make qt5base # Ctrl+C when configure stage is done

Please see "qt5base configure stage.txt" attached.
    In case you notice something wrong, please let me know.

Thank you.

Regards.

• - Load by NFS the rootfs.ext4 generated by making fsimx6_std_defcong.

Please tell me that this is *not* what you are doing. I hope you will download (or make available by NFS) the rootfs.ext4 generated by fsimx6_qt5_defconfig.

The default GUI X-Window desktop matchbox is shown correctly on HDMI monitor, mouse works correctly.

Arrgh, no, if you use the qt5 rootfs, you will *not* see this screen. When using Qt5, you will not have X11 available. The image will stay blank until you start a Qt application.

I think we have found the "problem". Please use the qt5 rootfs. And also please use the fsimx6_qt5_defconfig from release fsimx6_V3.0, not an older one.

Your F&S Support Team

• Hello

Sorry for the missunderstanding.

I can confirm you:
    "EGL Error : Could not create the egl surface: error = 0x3003" happens to me using fsimx6_qt5_defconfig (+phyton gdb support, +fdisk busybox enable), rootfs.ext4 loaded by NFS.

What I tested (I came out with the idea to rule out a possible bad armstonea9r2.dtb):
    fsimx6_std_defconfig rootfs.ext4 loaded by NFS.
    armstonea9r2dl.dtb display to HDMI, updated to NAND flash. Generated when make fsimx6_qt5_defconfig(+phyton gdb support, +fdisk busybox enable).
    uImage updated to NAND flash. Generated when make fsimx6_qt5_defconfig(+phyton gdb support, +fdisk busybox enable).
    As a result of this test, default GUI X-Window desktop matchbox is correctly shown on HDMI monitor.

Thank you.

Kind regards.

• Hello

I have been using Armstonea9r2, fsimx6-V3.0 all the time.

If you agree, you could send me please your fsimx6_qt5_defconfig rootfs.ext4, compiled on your own host machine.

My host machine is:

Code
    1. [rvelazquez@Fedora23 ~]$ uname -a
    2. Linux Fedora23 4.8.13-100.fc23.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Dec 9 14:51:40 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

From a previous post, I think you use Fedora21.

I would load your fsimx6_qt5_defconfig rootfs.ext4 by NFS, I would test qt examples. If it worked, I would install Fedora21, I would start from scratch.

I am sending to support@fs-net.de a mail from my account, you could use https://wetransfer.com/ to send me rootfs.ext4.

Thank you.

Regards.

• Hello,

Using Fedora 23 is no problem. Fedora 21 is just our recommendation (as we are using it right now) and in Fedora 24+ the (host-)compiler is in a version that's too new. But 23 is fine too.
    Of course you can also use other distributions like Mint, Ubuntu etc. but in our documentation we had to choose one Distri to explane and so this is Fedora now.
    In propably all distributions you'll have to install additional packages. What you need for Fedora is explained in our documentation.

Have you tried other exmples too, as questioned in a post before? What is the behavior?

Best Regards
    Your F&S Support Team

Edited 2 times, last by fs-support_PH ().

• Yes your are write. Sorry I think I missed that.

Right now I'm compiling a qt5 rootfs.
    I will do a test when it's done and see if I can reproduce your errors.

Best Regards
    Your F&S Support Team

• One thing that I forgot. Some things only work if you set the BPP value for the framebuffer to 32 bits. In the future this will be the case in all our device trees, but in the previous releases we had them set to other depths. So please check the BPP value and try 32 if it is not already set.

If this does not work, then we will try here again. Unfortunately I can not keep all my images here, this would take too much hard disk space. So I'd have to compile the Qt5 buildroot here again if we do not get it running on your machine.

Your F&S Support Team

• Hello

It worked !!

This is what I did:

I tested all examples you suggested on Yesterday 7:56am post, and others. Worked fine.

Good job !!

Thank you indeed.

Regards.