How to get the Cortex-M4 running.

• Hello,

I want to set-up and program the Cortex-M4 Coprocessor on my efusA9x.

Therefore I downloaded "FreeRTOS_BSP_1.0.1_iMX6SX_F_S_V1.60.tar.bz2" and "gcc-arm-none-eabi-6-2017-q2-update-linux.tar.bz2" and configured everything according "FreeRTOS_BSP_1.01_iMX6SX_on_FS_Boards.pdf" from chapter "3 Installing Toolchain and FreeRTOS BSP".

The Linux side of my system was build from "fsimx6sx-V2.0.tar.bz2" with "u-boot-2014.07-fsimx6sx-V2.0.tar.bz2". Files comes directly from the F+S server.

The problem accrued in chapter "4.1 Configuring UBoot" where I tried to configure u-boot.
    I assume with "F&S provides you with a modified UBoot which can make use of the Cortex-M4." the U-Boot from "fsimx6sx-V2.0.tar.bz2" was meant.
    But when I tried to config the u-boot source code conflicts accured.

1. Wrong place. #define in struct

2. no idea where the offical NXP u-boot source is located (was using git clone https://github.com/abbasraza/u-boot-imx6q)

3. That was the only step that seems to be right (/common/Makefile).

4. there is no “M4 specific configuration” section

5.skip, line already there (line 34)
    #define M4_BOOTROM_BASE_ADDR 0x007F8000

..and so on...

After all these changes u-boot failed to compile.

When I compile a demo and try to start it from u-boot ("fsimx6sx-V2.0.tar.bz2"-version):
    efusA9X # tftp hello_world_ddr.bin; cp.b $loadaddr 0x9ff00000 ${filesize}; dcache flush;
    efusA9X # bootaux 0x9ff00000
    Unknown command 'bootaux' - try 'help'

Therefore, it seems to be that the "fsimx6sx-V2.0.tar.bz2" are the wrong files to get the Cortex-M4 running.

Do I need another source or what is the problem?

• Well, "F&S provides you with a modified UBoot which can make use of the Cortex-M4." means exactly, that you need a special U-Boot to get access to Cortex M4. The regular U-Boot from the release does not work (yet). Cortex-M4-Support was introduced after the fsimx6sx-V2.0 release, therefore these circumstances. We want to bring out a regular i.MX6 (fsimx6) release at the end of this month and then we will also have a Solo-X (fsimx6sx) release soon after that. This release will contain all parts that are necessary to use the Cortex-M4.

So if you want to use Cortex-M4 right now, we have to supply a special U-Boot with some additional features. If you can wait another 6 weeks or so, then you can use the upcoming fsimx6sx-V2.1 release.

Your F&S Support Team

F&S Elektronik Systeme GmbH
    As this is an international forum, please try to post in English.
    Da dies ein internationales Forum ist, bitten wir darum, Beiträge möglichst in Englisch zu verfassen.

• I understand. What I need at the moment is a minimal option to run example programs on the Cortex-M4. Please provide me the necessary informations/sources to run examples on the Coprocessor.
    How fix is the release date for the 2.1 version. 5..6..7..8..12 weeks???

Thanks.

• Yes, sorry. There were some unexpected but important customer specific things to do and in fact some bugs are/were very difficult to hunt down. And last but not least during the summer a few of us were on vacation.

We are still on it, sorry for the delay. Not long anymore, promise.

Your F&S Support Team

F&S Elektronik Systeme GmbH
    As this is an international forum, please try to post in English.
    Da dies ein internationales Forum ist, bitten wir darum, Beiträge möglichst in Englisch zu verfassen.