Network issues on efusA9X

• Dear Support Team,

My efusA9X board is configured in the following way:

- ETHNETA1 is using DHCP on 192.168.68.0/255.255.255.0 subnet.

- ATHNETB1 is using static IP address 192.168.0.47/255.255.255.0.

Device is connected to our LAN over ETHNETA1. From time to time, I lose access over ETHNETA1. When this happens, I see over serial UART that machine is still working, so I connect to the device using ETHNETB1, by connecting PC directly to the device. Over remote display, I can see ETHNETA1 is missing IP address. But, when I type ipconfig it does not return! I tried to disable/enable ETHNETA1 from Control Panel/Network And Dial UP Connections but operation blocked. I had to reset the device in order to recover it.

Investigating further this problem, I've found the following problem that you can easily reproduce each time: on working system, when you try to disable ETHNETB1, access over ETHNETA1 stops working!

Can you please check these issues and let me know what could be wrong?

Best regards,

Miodrag Bazdar

• Hello,

unfortunately i can check this issue in short terms.

But ist seems I can disable enabel ETHNETB1 using "ndisconfig" (ndisconfig adapter un/bind ETHNETB1). You can also use functions of ndis.h from inside your applcation.

Do you use a efusA9X with two Ethernet in you final HW design? Or at least do you use both Ehternt in your final SW design?

It would be intersting why you lose access over ETHNETA1! Any details about this issue?

F&S Elektronik Systeme GmbH
    As this is an international forum, please try to post in English.
    Da dies ein internationales Forum ist, bitten wir darum, Beiträge möglichst in Englisch zu verfassen.

• Hello,

>> unfortunately i can check this issue in short terms.

<< I don't understand, have you managed to reproduce it the way I described ?

>> But ist seems I can disable enabel ETHNETB1 using "ndisconfig" (ndisconfig adapter un/bind ETHNETB1).

<< Ok, thanks for the hint, but it is not my intention to recover eth adapter by resetting it. Even if it loses connection for any reason, it should recover automatically when connection is restored. I shouldn't be obligated to reset adapter or reboot machine to recover it.

>> Do you use a efusA9X with two Ethernet in you final HW design? Or at least do you use both Ehternt in your final SW design?

<< Yes, we will use both Ethernet adapters in our final HW design.

>> It would be intersting why you lose access over ETHNETA1! Any details about this issue?

<< Unfortunately, I don't know when it happens, seems to be random. First I noticed it when I tested connection over WiFi. It would happen that I loose connection although machine is active on serial UART. When I look in registry, it says I still have the IP address, but connection is broken and it does not recover until I reboot the machine. This happened when I used starter kit. I suspected it may be due to WiFi network, so I moved to use Ethernet connection with our device, since wired network is stable, I use it every day and in field we will mostly use wired network.

Best regards,

Miodrag Bazdar

• Hello

>> unfortunately i can check this issue in short terms.

<< I don't understand, have you managed to reproduce it the way I described ?

>>No, sorry I meant we have no men power to investigate this issue in short terms. We have to put it into the queue.

Furthermore we don't know if resolving this issue resolves your original issue.

Da dies ein internationales Forum ist, bitten wir darum, Beiträge möglichst in Englisch zu verfassen.

• Hello,

Here is some new info from testing efusA9X: I have left my device over night turned on. WiFi was connected over DHCP, ETHNETA1 too. When I came to office today, I accessed the device over ETHNETA1 and saw that WiFi was missing in the system (not present in Network and Dial Up Connections). In the registry HKLM\Platform\RestartReason had the value "WDOG". After I have reset the machine, WiFi started working again and RestartReason was "IPP". No custom applications were running. WiFi antenna is not connected.

Best regards,

Miodrag Bazdar

• Ok thanks, we will watch this issue.

But ndcucfg -> reboot causes also a restart reason WDOG!

We have some customers using kernel version 1.1...1.3 in 7/24 applications and have no negative feed back.

• mbazdar

Changed the title of the thread from “Ethernet issues on efusA9X” to “Network issues on efusA9X”.
  • Hello,

New issue I came across: if you click on "View Log" button on QCA9377_SD1 dialog, it will close the dialog and all network icons will disappear from taskbar notification tray. I doubt it is related with previous issues, but it is definitely ugly. At least you can easily reproduce it.

As for losing WiFi, it seems to happen after few hours to up to one day of usage. Hopefully, you should be able to reproduce it with starter kit. When this happens, adapter cannot be reset with ndisconfig, because ndisconfig does not list QCA9377_SD1 in the list of available adapters.

My kernel version is V1.40.

Best regards,

Miodrag Bazdar

• Dear Support Team,

I've done some tests using starter kit with kernel XIPiMX6SX_C7E_V140_BETA_201102.bin which I got from you. Here is the description of tests and related problems:

1) Copy XIPiMX6SX_C7E_V140_BETA_201102.bin file from PC to starter kit using FTP over ETHNETA1. Transfer stalls for few seconds (during which time the device is unavailable over ETHNETA1) at least once per transfer. After stall, transfer continues and finally ends successfully.

2) Copy XIPiMX6SX_C7E_V140_BETA_201102.bin file from starter kit to PC using FTP over ETHNETA1. Transfer fails each time. Connection over ETHNETA1 is lost. You have to cancel the FTP transfer and to wait some time for connection over ETHNETA1 to restore.

3) Copy XIPiMX6SX_C7E_V140_BETA_201102.bin file from PC to starter kit and vice versa using FTP over WiFi. Transfer usually goes well in both direction. There is no stalls while copying file to the device, unlike test 1. Continue to copy file back and forth. After some random time, while copying the file to the device, WiFi connection crashes (QCA9377_SD1 dialog closes), and the only way I found to recover it is to reset starter kit.

Tests are extremely simple, problems are easy to reproduce, but are rather severe. Can you please check these issues and give me some estimation when can we expect fixes, since network on efusA9X (both wired and wireless) is quite unreliable?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Miodrag Bazdar

• Hello,

concerning the "copy" problem above i provide you new beta kernel - you can download and test it now.

• Hello,

For now, I can confirm that XIPiMX6SX_C7E_V140_BETA_201118.bin resolves "copy" issues with ETHNETA1. I will continue to keep an eye on crashing WiFi issue. In the meantime, can you please send me patched binaries for BSP, so I can build my own image which will contain fixes from XIPiMX6SX_C7E_V140_BETA_201118.bin?

Best regards,

Miodrag Bazdar

• Dear Support Team,

Problem with disabling ETHNETB1 from control panel is still present with XIPiMX6SX_C7E_V140_BETA_201118.bin, although network seems to be much more stable with this kernel.

Can I please get patched BSP so I can build my own image and check behaviour on my hardware?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Miodrag Bazdar

• Hello,

I've just got WiFi crash on starter kit with XIPiMX6SX_C7E_V140_BETA_201118.bin. System was up for 1h:40m when crash happened. No FTP transfer was active in that moment.

Best regards,

Miodrag Bazdar

• Hello,

i will try to provide you an update (kernel and BSP) including "copy-" and "disabling ETHNETB1" problem tomorrow or Monday.

WiFi driver is a third party driver we have no source code i have to check updates.

I see the problem in WEC7 but not in WEC2013.

• Ok, thanks for the info. Also, I would appreciate if you could push WiFi supplier to solve crash issue in WEC7. Good thing is that the issue is not present in WEC2013. Unfortunately, I don't have WEC2013.

• Sorry,

i need some more time.

WLAN: there is no update, i check another possible issue.

BSP: just for my information, at the time you are using "BSP_FSIMX6SX_WLAN_20190219" - right?

• Hello,

you can download the new BSP now.

"disabling ETHNETB1" problem should be solved.

Unfortunately i cannot reproduce the WLAN problem while a test over 12 hours using the old SW! But new SW uses SDBus.dll under HKLM/Drivers/builtin/sdbusdriver (WLAN is a SD Card) . This should be the right driver for WEC7.

Hope it works now. My test runs since 6:00 today.

I will keep you informed. Please come back if your test fails.

• Hello,

if only i had wait a bit longer. WLAN just crashed, sorry - i will do further investigationes.

• Hello,

Thanks for the updated BSP. I confirm the following issues are resolved:

1) Big file copy to the device over wired LAN works without stalls.

2) Big file copy from the device over wired LAN does not crash the connection anymore. It works without stalls.

3) Disabling ETHNETB1 from Control Panel works correctly now.

Wired LAN connection seems to be stable now. More tests will follow on our side.

Unfortunately, as you have also confirmed, WLAN crash is still there. For me, it seems the same as before. I have produced the crash on my device fairly easily, just by copying NK.bin back and forth over WiFi and rebooting device few times.

I have found in SDMAC_WiFi_BT.pdf from BSP the following info:

Random crashes are seen in system components of the image on i.MX6 BSP. Disable SMP option to get rid

of the errors.

I have tried this (although it says it is related to SabreLite), but without success.

Best regards,

Miodrag Bazdar