USB-to-RS232 Converter

• Is there a special USB-to-serial converter for the PicoComA5? We would like to expand an existing application and then need three RS232 interfaces. Is there a product that you can recommend to us for which you already have a WinCE driver?

• Can I use a device that supports ftdi_ser.dll? I found the following registry settings from the manufacturer:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\USB\ClientDrivers\FTDI_DEVICE]

"Version"="1.1.0.20"

"Prefix"="COM"

"Dll"="ftdi_ser.dll"

"ConfigData"=hex:\

01,00,3f,3f,10,27,88,13,c4,09,e2,04,71,02,38,41,9c,80,4e,c0,34,00,1a,00,0d,\

00,06,40,03,80,00,00,d0,80

"InitialIndex"=dword:00000006

"DeviceArrayIndex"=dword:00000004

"LatencyTimer"=dword:00000010

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\USB\LoadClients\1027_24577\Default\255\FTDI_DEVICE]

"DLL"="ftdi_ser.dll"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\USB\LoadClients\1027_24592\Default\255\FTDI_DEVICE]

"DLL"="ftdi_ser.dll"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\USB\LoadClients\1027_24593\Default\255\FTDI_DEVICE]

"DLL"="ftdi_ser.dll"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\USB\LoadClients\1027_24596\Default\255\FTDI_DEVICE]

"DLL"="ftdi_ser.dll"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\USB\LoadClients\1027_24597\Default\255\FTDI_DEVICE]

"DLL"="ftdi_ser.dll"

Can you confirm that this works for PicoComA5 before I order such a device? And where does the ftdi_ser.dll have to be copied?

• Hello,

on PicoCOMA5 we have three COM ports see HW Doc. (one with RX, TX, RTS, CTS and two with RX, TX only). If this is not sufficient or you use the corresponding pins already for other purpose you can use various FTDI chips with D2XX driver. ARM drivers are available for WCE6, WEC7 and WEC2013.

Hope this helps.

F&S Elektronik Systeme GmbH
    As this is an international forum, please try to post in English.
    Da dies ein internationales Forum ist, bitten wir darum, Beiträge möglichst in Englisch zu verfassen.

• Hello,

>>Can I use a device that supports ftdi_ser.dll?

<< Think this is not what you want: "virtual COM port (VCP) drivers cause the USB device to appear as an additional COM port available to the PC".

>> Can you confirm that this works for PicoComA5 before I order such a device? And where does the ftdi_ser.dll have to be copied?

<< You have to copy the drivers to ffsdisk and do the corresponding Registry entries.

>> Can you confirm that this works for PicoComA5 before I order such a device?

<< I can't;) But we can try to support you while installation. FTDI provides a library and programmer guid please check this.

Da dies ein internationales Forum ist, bitten wir darum, Beiträge möglichst in Englisch zu verfassen.

• OK, thank you. I didn't realize that the PicoComA5 has three COMs. How can I activate the third COM? I only see COM1, COM2 and COM9 in VisualStudio. We already use COM1 and 2, I don't know what COM9 is. I don't see any problem in the registry HKLN\drivers\builtin\picocoma5\uart3, the settings are similar as for uart1 and uart2. Do I have to deactivate COM9 and if so, where?

• Hello,

COM9 is used by ActiveSync over USB Device. You can configure USB Device also as VPC (VPC Sample), but this was not what you want - I think.

You can activate UART3 (COM3: at pin 16, 17) by set Registry HKLM/drivers/builtin/picocoma5/uart3/Flags=dword:0. Save Registry and then reboot.

• Hello,

very nice that it works.

And you are right, pins 15, 16 are correct, sorry.