rtprio - normal user

• Hello,

in our application some threads run with rtprio. If I start the program as root, everything works as expected. If starting as normal user it is not possible to change the priority to rt. I know that this is nothing special, because not all users have the same rights.
    On a "normal" Linux systems I modify the /etc/security/limits.conf file. On the device, there is no such file and also after creating it, it is not used by the system.
    Any ideas?

• On my Linux system, the file /etc/security/limits.conf is part of the pam package. So maybe you have to add the linux-pam package to your buildroot configuration (Target Packages -> Libraries -> Other -> linux-pam). Further information about linux-pam can be found on http://www.linux-pam.org/

Your F&S Support Team

F&S Elektronik Systeme GmbH
    As this is an international forum, please try to post in English.
    Da dies ein internationales Forum ist, bitten wir darum, Beiträge möglichst in Englisch zu verfassen.

• Yes, after compiling this package in, I have a limits.conf file. But it is still not working. I also added pam to busybox, without success. I'm not sure but as I see, all settings in limits.conf are applied as soon the user logs in. In my case, the process is started by start-stop-daemon which switches to another user and then start the executable. So I don't know if settings are applied... I also don't know if pam is working because I don't know how I would see this.
    Is there any other possibility to give a user the rtprio right? sysctl or something else?