no output from the serial port on efusA7ull

• Hi everyone,

I have been using 7ull module for long time but this is the first time I face this problem. I know when there is no nboot installed on the module and when I click on the reset button on the development board, then I can see on DCUTerminal <0> is printed.

I have tested this before, I once removed nboot mistakenly on efusA9 module and i was able to retrieve it when I downloaded the MfgTool and i flashed a new one again. This time the module does not show anything when I connect it to the DCUtermi and it does not even print a <0> when I click on the reset button of the development board.

Please do you have any way or suggestions to test if the module still functional?

Thanks

kind regards

Ahmed

• What did you do? How did you remove NBoot?

If you use our starterkit baseboard, the LEDs may show if some voltage is missing. Other than that your can check if there is display output or some other signal that toggles during the boot process or when your application is running,

The <0> is not a specific signal. A board may show nothing at all but still responds to MfgTool.

If you can not get the module running again, send it to us as RMA.

Your F&S Support Team

F&S Elektronik Systeme GmbH
    As this is an international forum, please try to post in English.
    Da dies ein internationales Forum ist, bitten wir darum, Beiträge möglichst in Englisch zu verfassen.

• I deleted the Nboot accidentally on efusA9 module. I remember that I did the following:

* Entered the Nboot console from the DCUTermi ( shift + s and click reset button on the development board)

* Erased nand (shift + E) and clicked 'd' which will wait for the "uBoot" to be pushed on the module

* Instead of writting uBoot and selected nboot.bin and it was written !!

After that I could not get any response from the module. The only solution was using MFgTool to re-download the "nboot.bin" on the efusA9 module, then it worked again.

When I was trying to do the same for efusA7Ull, the module does not show anything on any of the serial ports. The voltage pins on the development board is in order and no problems.

The 2 leds which shall toggle on the module if there is no "uBoot" installed on the NAND flash do not toggle as well.

Thanks

Kind regards

• OK, then you have downloaded a wrong NBoot file that was not suited for your board. You have to take care that you use the correct NBoot for your CPU architecture:

• i.MX6 Solo/DualLite/Quad: nbootimx6_<version>.bin

This is efusA9, armStoneA9, armStoneA9r2, PicoMODA9, QBlissA9, QBlissA9r2, NetDCUA9

• i.MX6 SoloX : nbootimx6sx_<version>.bin

This is efusA9X, PicoCOMA9X, PicoCoreMX6SX

• i.MX6 UltraLite/ULL: nbootimx6ul_<version>.bin

This is efusA7UL, PicoCOM1.2, PicoCOMA7, PicoCoreMX6UL

Also note that you need to use binary mode to download such a file. In DcuTerm use "File" -> "Transmit Binary File...", in TeraTerm use "File" -> "Send file..." and check the "Binary" checkbox.

Also as a general rule, do not downgrade NBoot. So for example if version VN35 is installed when shipped, do not downgrade to a version before VN35. There may be a hardware option installed on the board that was not supported by an earlier version of NBoot so that in the worst case the older version does not start, making the board unusable as in your case.

So either send us the board to reinstall NBoot or use MfgTool yourself now to install NBoot again. Do you have instructions on how to do this?

Your F&S Support Team

Da dies ein internationales Forum ist, bitten wir darum, Beiträge möglichst in Englisch zu verfassen.

• Thanks for your respond. I will tell the steps that I perform to use MfgTool:

1- I downloaded "nbootimx6ul_31.zip" from the F&S DownloadArea

2- Inside MfgTool folder I renamed the extracted file from "nbootimx6ul_31.bin" to "nboot.bin"

3- I reviewed the content of ucl2 XML file, here is my content -->

I am not sure if dev=MX6Q is correct for imx6Ul ?

4- I attached imx6Ul module on the development board and plugged the USB-Macro cable in the board and in my PC. Then I started MfgTool2.exe, however I can not detect the board.

Please do I miss any steps or you do have modifications ?

Thanks

Kind regards

• We have uploaded a new MfgTool package that should work.

Your F&S Support Team